Music Fan

Plan

Premium

Device

Android, Windows 7 PC

Operating System

(Android 7.1.2, Windows 7)

My Question or Issue

So, I can't stream music from Spotify to any of my 3 Onkyo network receivers (414, 515 and 535). I have a premium plan, but if this continues, I will cancel it. I don't see my Onkyo devices on my phones, or in my PC app. I have the latest versions. What's going on?!

22 Replies

Jemi
Spotify Legend

Hey @Nabuko, help's arrived. 

There are a couple of things we can try. First, restart all your devices (and speakers) by unplugging them and plugging them back. Also, make sure that:

• All devices are connected to the same WiFi network.
  • Your Spotify app is up-to-date. It's better to reinstall with these steps.
  • Your restart your router.
  • All devices’ software is up-to-date. If you don't know, check with your devices' manufacturers for how to update the version software.
  • If possible, try switching between different networks and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, try connecting to your receivers from different devices, and let a friend try connecting to the receivers with their own account and devices.

Let us know the results 🙂

Nabuko
Music Fan

Tried all that already with many devices, and it's not working. I'm reading now that you guys don't support Onkyo anymore. 😕 It's strange that you as a moderator here don't know anything about that.

Jemi
Spotify Legend

Hey @Nabuko,

Spotify Connect works with every speaker and receiver as long as the manufacturer allows that type of connection. If you've gone through the steps above, try getting in touch with them to see how they can help. 

All the best!

Nabuko
Music Fan

That is a lie, and you know it. My AVRs support Spotify, there is a green sticker on all of them, and it worked fine. They didn't update their firmware, the last update was 3 years ago, so they didn't change anything. I also got the email from them telling me that Spotify doesn't support they AVRs anymore. So, the question here is: why are you liying?

Jguemes
Visitor

I have the same prob here.  Could you solve it ? 

I have same problem. Please solve that.

katoulmer64
Visitor

I also have this same problem. Why is no one responding or willing to help now?

mudbucker
Music Fan
I haven't seen any further answers. I do not see a list of support devices at the Spotify website. I have had issues with an older iPod becoming "no longer supported" I'm not going to buy another receiver that out of the box won't work. At least you owe your customers a full list of currently supported devices that is maintained. If Spotify has no interest in supporting old-school home stereos and only phones and such, just state it up front rather than leaving your customers hanging. If I drop Spotify and move over to Apple Music instead, at least I can expect them to be up front about support.

mudbucker
Music Fan

Un-effin-believable. 

Today my Onkyo TX8260 receiver is no longer seen as a Spotify Connect target. My phone now uses Google Cast (!!!!!!!) to connect. What is going on here? Just a few days ago this worked fine. Now I cannot connect from my laptop because of course, Spotify Connect does not see the Onkyo receiver. This worked perfectly for two months and now is broken.

This is beyond a joke at this point.

Nabuko
Music Fan

After that no audio thing in most of their surround amplifiers and this garbage with Spotify, it's Onkyo no more for me.

mudbucker
Music Fan

Onkyo support was able to give me a fix immediately after I filed a ticket there today although Spotify support simply told me that my device was not supported...only one Onkyo device is shown on the "Everywhere" page although since 2014 Onkyo has been selling well over a dozen devices that can use Spotify Connect. The problem was that unlike AirPlay, Chromecast and TuneIn Radio the Spotify Connect network connection apparently can hang. A reset of the Onkyo fixed the problem. If it happens again, at least I know what to do about it.

Nabuko
Music Fan

I don't know if anyone noticed, and if I'm the bearer of good news, but Spotify Connect works again with my Onkyo receivers!! :))))))))))

pylsfc
Regular

Well, Hère it’s still not working. And it’s not the first time. This happend several times over the past three years. Sometimes my receiver didn’t appear anymore in the list of available devices in the Spotify app, sometimes the onkyo was listed but when selected on my onkyo it said that it was connecting but never achieved to connect. (Not even talking about other issues like the onkyo just turning off or loosing the connection with Spotify while playing.)

a real pain in the ass. When you think that before you just inputed your cassette tape or your CD, pressed play and it just worked. We are decades in the future but we are struggling with the basic: I want just to press play and listen to my music .

anyway, it now stopped working again. But this time things seem different: my onkyo appears in the list of available devices but when I start a song on my onkyo display it says DTS Play-Fi (instead of “connecting”), but still nothing happens. 

I’ m kind of at a point where I am looking for alternatives. I don’t have the budget to change my receiver (even though I believe the problem lies with Spotify), so I might just try some other music streaming service. 

Nabuko
Music Fan
Of course the problem is in Spotify. Nothing changed about my receiver, it has the same firmware it had 2 years ago. So it's obvious that Spotify had changed something in their software.

pylsfc
Regular

Well it’s to be expected that Spotify updates it’s app. But they need to do it in a way that allows it’s partners to update their firmware in order that the devices keep working. It’s just not possible that you would need to change a device after just two years or so ...

mudbucker
Music Fan

pylsfc,

You might want to try a factory reset of the receiver. Luckily this didn't erase all my settings, even my radio presets were untouched. You'll have to file a ticket with Onkyo support to get the procedure for your unit.

pylsfc
Regular
Do you have a link for filing a suppot ticket? Haven’t been able to find a
way to do it on their website.

mudbucker
Music Fan
If you’re in the USA, this is the link: https://www.onkyousa.com/contact-support/

You need to give them your serial number, which is a PITA, I ended up taking a picture of the back of the receiver with my phone so I could read it.

Nabuko
Music Fan

I guess I started celebrating too early. Today I can connect to an Onkyo in my other room, but not to the main one, the one I connected to 2 days ago. I don't get it...

SUGGESTED POSTS