Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

PS4 playlist problem

PS4 playlist problem

I've read some posts about the shuffle feature not working correctly on PS4.

Well, I don't use shuffle, but playlists still don't work correctly: I chose some movie soundtracks playlist containing about 600 songs, wanted it to play the songs one after the other, but after a while I noticed that songs are repeated quite early. Moreover the music sometimes STOPS playing between songs, maybe (not sure yet) this is the moment when the playlist jumps back to somewhere before.

So instead of hearing the game's songs over and over, I hear a selection of playlist songs over and over now, which makes Spotify on PS4 a bit pointless for me.

I'm an Unlimited subscriber.

Anyone else with this problem?

4 Replies

Ok, now I can confirm that only a relatively small amount of playlist songs can be played continually by the PS4 app, and when the "last" song is over, it stops. Then you have to manually press play, whereupon it starts at the first song again.

Let's say you've found a playlist containing 600 songs, which you want to listen to while gaming. You start at song 1. After maybe song 30, the music stops. Then you can either press play to hear song 1 to 30 again. Or you have to completely shut down the game* you're playing in order to go into the Spotify app, scroll to song 31 and select it. Then the app will play song 31, 32 and so on and you have to start your game again. After song 57, the music stops and would start at song 31 again. Unless you quit your game.... rinse and repeat.

Some day, you will have listened to the first 300 songs and want to hear song 301, 302 and so on. Then be prepared for long scrolling sessions!

I don't understand why they advertise the PS4 app with slogans like "Listen to your favorite playlist while driving through Los Santos!", although this is not even possible in the expected way.

*EDIT: This might not be necessary generally. But when I pause the online game I'm currently playing in order to access the Spotify app, the game loses server connection and I have to restart it.

I have the same problem. I counted 50 songs till the music stoped. It happens only when Spotify plays in the backround and I play a game.

Do I need Spotify Premium or has everybody this problem?

@superingo wrote:

I have the same problem. I counted 50 songs till the music stoped. It happens only when Spotify plays in the backround and I play a game.

Do I need Spotify Premium or has everybody this problem?

50 might be the maximal amount. But it varies depending on your starting position: When I tried to hear the later songs of a playlist and started playback at a song deep in the list, the amount went down to only 9 songs, although there were many more after.

Due to this inconstancy I think that there is no free/unlimited limit and that premium users are affected as well.

There are a few threads about the shuffle feature only including certain parts of a playlist on PS4; I assume this and our problem are more or less the same. Apparently the PS4 app is unable to cope with high numbers of songs.

I have sort of the same issue except I only get one maybe two songs to play before it stops and I have to manually press play. Doesn't matter if I'm controlling through ps4 or phone. Don't have the issue with running it on my phone or computer though. But considering I primarily want to use it in the ps4 this could be a subscription killer for me.

Suggested posts