Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback Restricted Devices Greyed Out

Playback Restricted Devices Greyed Out

I cannot connect my Spotify to echo devices anymore. All devices greyed out and read 'Playback Restricted'. Have tried deleting and reinstalling Spotify and Alexa apps, clearing cache, resetting wifi, unplugging and re-powering echos. All to no avail. Work-arounds very welcome
155 Replies

Yeah, it’s why I got mine too.

Though since I posted I got my groups in the Alexa app to connect to Spotify.  Not sure what really did the trick, I adjusted a group and went back to the Spotify app and the list of devices updated/reset and they all came up. So far whatever group Or speaker I’ve tried it on they all work just fine now. 

This worked, thank you! 

I'm having this issue as well. I have deleted and reinstalled both the Spotify and Alexia apps many times, deleted the cache, reset all devices, and restarted my network.

Same issue here - tried all the steps to clear it. What's going on? 

I have 4 types of Alexia devices, and it is only one that is not working. So it could be that particular amazon device and not a Spotify issue. 

Same situation here. Argh!

My problem is similar. I have just now installed Spotify (not Premium) on my new PC running Windows11 and on my iPhone X. Using Spotify Connect from my PC, I can select either deice for playback. However, using my iPhone, I cannot select my PC - it is greyed out, saying "Playback restricted". Can this be fixed please? 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for all of your posts in this thread. Let's continue to investigate this together!

Can you confirm if you can adjust your groups?

It would also be great if you can provide us:

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Have a great Friday and start of your weekend 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi, I am having this same problem. I purchased Amazon Echo Dot 4th gen last week. I was initially able to play from Spotify to my new Echo Dot, but after I finished setup and customized the name of the new Dot, it now shows the factory name in my list of Spotify devices with "Playback restricted". I will note that when this device is included in a group of Echo speakers, it will play over the group, but not individually.

specs

iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 15.5

Spotify iOS app version 8.7.46.1678

Streaming over Amazon Echo Dot 4th gen (round white w/ clock)

Hey @zacksull,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

We really appreciate you taking the time to report this. Could you share with us the troubleshooting you’ve already done? This way we can suggest some additional alternatives you could try.

Folks, if anyone else is still experiencing this issue, make sure to send the info that @Jeremy requested, so we can report this to the right team.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I've tried resetting the device list in my spotify app for my PS4 and my Harman Kardon 161s and it didn't do it :(.
People seem to report this for Alexa devices often but it can be affecting many devices Spotify supported earlier this year.

There are 2 symptoms for me, my PS4 appears and restricted and my Harman Kardon 161s doesn't play... it stays at 0 though it's connected to the internet... I tried setting up the DNS in it but that didn't help either.

I'm using the latest Spotify iOS app on an iPhone 12, also the Mac App behaved the same.

As far as I know the device itself is the one doing the streaming, whatever is preventing them it got introduced in June/July as I had been playing music on the same device in May. Something in your Api's? Please analyze it because this Harman Kardon has no software updates and I don't think getting a new receiver should be the way to go.

When will this playback restricted issue be fixed I can’t connect to my ps5 or other devices

I'm sorry that I don't have time to help fault find by trying a list of different things, each of which will mean waiting, rebooting, readding...

Really, as has been said by someone else in this thread - the onus is on you to go to your developers and say "what is causing this". They should provide a list of the conditions that is making this happen. It's really not 'our' job do to this for them. 

I have the solution! I had the same problem with only one of my Alexa devices and the one I could play from was not in a Room Group. I could play from the Alexa in my office but not from my bedroom as that was in the group. I removed it from the bedroom group and now I could play on it

I have the solution. Remove the affected Alexa device from its room group on the Alexa app and then go back to Spotify and it shouldn’t now be greyed out. 

One echo is fine. Two are not. I say "Alexa, open spotify" and I get the "Ok, here's spotify" reply. Nothing plays. Go to Spotify on my phone and I see Playback Restricted for the two not fine devices. Other apps (SiriusXM, Pandora) work fine. 

i had the same problem for weeks, solved today with following steps:

- renamed all echo dots

- removed spotify-amazon-skill connection

- deleted spotify and alexa app

- shutdown the iphone, waited few minutes

- boot iphone

- installed spotify

- installed alexa app

- deleted all device groups in alexa app (the only one o f 4 devices which did not have the 'restricted' problem, wasn´t part of a group)

- finally - spotify listed all echo dot devices again

- created a new group with all devices, still works 

hope someome fix this problem with these steps too

I was having the same issue but only when I tried to play a specific podcast.  Once I switched to a different one, all my devices showed up again.

Hi, same issue here as everyone else.

iPhone 12 Pro

15.5 (19F77)

Spotify version

Same thing happening here. 

I’ve unplugged and plugged back in, factory reset, brought echo dot closer to router

iphone 12 pro

spotify 8.7.50.416

Suggested posts