Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playing non-explicit songs through Google's smart speakers

Playing non-explicit songs through Google's smart speakers

Hello. I have kids who love music but don't like cursing, so I have explicit content turned off. However. when I ask a Google smart speaker to play a song that is explicit, nothing happens, even though there are non-explicit versions of it on Spotify.

For example: I say "Hey Google, play Monsters by All Time Low", and Google responds with "Monsters by All Time Low. Sure. Playing on Spotify" but nothing happens after that.

When I turn on Explicit content in my Android Spotify app and repeat, it works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? I tried creating a one-song playlist with the non-explicit version of the song, but no matter what I call it, Google just won't play it - it plays other songs that have the name of my playlist in it. Clicking on the song in the Spotify app works fine, it's only playing it through Google's smart speakers that doesn't work.

4 Replies

Hey there @bkedryna

Thanks for getting in touch about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind letting us know if this only happens when you try using voice commands on your speaker?

Also, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your phone? Additionally, we'd like to know which Google speaker are you using.

Lastly, we'd suggest that you check in the Google Home app settings that the explicit filter is disabled.

Let us know how it goes.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi. When I play music from the spotify app, it works fine. I don't know of
another way to play music so yes, it only happens when using voice commands.
I'm using Android 11 on Pixel 4 XL. Spotify version 8.6.46.886.
I have 3 Google home minis and it happens on all of them.

I'm not seeing any explicit filter in Google's Home app...

I'm not sure why/how, but this started working yesterday. It's been a problem for at least a few weeks - did someone read this post and fix it? If so, my daughter (who is obsessed with this song) thanks you 🙂

Hi @bkedryna,

Thanks for letting us know that everything is working fine now.

Remember to always keep your app updated, so you don't miss any fixes or new features. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if you have more questions.

Have a great day!

Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Suggested posts