Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlist length broken

Playlist length broken

Plan

Free

Country

America

Device

Chromebook, Mac(I've used spotify on the tv and on my phone, but dont have the same issues)

Operating System

Chrome os & macos sierra

This is an issue for webplayer but I couldn't find the tag

My Question or Issue

My playlist length is uncertain, I don't know how this happened

Effects:

Songs I add to the playlist don't show up at the bottom(These songs will play as if they were in the playlist, but cannot be found in the playlist)

Some added songs occasionally duplicate themselves(which I cant delete, but the songs will also disappear after a while)

When I add a song multiple times they don't get removed

When trying to play a specific song it chooses a song x places earlier in the playlist

(my theory of how it chooses to skip, I have a few unplayable songs in the playlist which may make my estimations inaccurate)

1 - 75, can be selected individually and properly

76 & 77 cant be selected at all(are both playable if I choose a song 2 places ahead of them)

85 - 78, 2 places skipped

96, 3 places skipped

87 - 95, 4 places skipped

Note: According to the top there are 102 songs in the playlist

Note 2: As I was writing this up 2 songs duplicated, and the total length increased by 5, which brought me to a length of 100

My theory for why all this occurs:
After some podcasts in my playlist were removed spotify got confused on how songs are in the playlist and which places they hold

The playlist in question: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3BzdT3Jkg7oqmYNsF7bFdo

I can go into greater detail about what happens when I do what

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 6.14.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 6.14.12 PM.png
Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 6.12.57 PM.png
7 Replies

What I am trying to demonstrate with each image:

Image 1:

That songs are being duplicated
Image 2:

That Songs that there are songs in the playlist that are hidden will still be played
note how the playlist is currently playing and this song is currently playing even though it is not shown on the list of songs and I have added it to the playlist in the past 2 hours

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 6.23.48 PM.png
peggies song spotify.png

Hi there @Patrol,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

In order to help you out with this and offer more advice we'd need some info:

• Does this issue happen only when you're using the web player?
  • Does it happen on both your Chromebook and your Mac PC?
  • What browsers are you using and does the same issue occur if you access the web player from an incognito tab.
  • Does this happen on another network? You can try switching on a Mobile hotspot if your data plan allows it.
  • Does this happen only on a specific playlist or on several?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. In the meantime you can try to Log out from Everywhere and log back in only on one of your devices and check whether the issue persists. This will force your account to sync up with the server.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you for getting back to me!

1. This is a web player specific issue, it doesn't arise on the tv or my phone

2. This happens on both my chromebook and mac

3. I only open spotify in chrome. I opened my playlist in incognito(without signing in) and the same issues arose.

4. I use the web player on my hotspot, my wifi, and coffee shop wifi all the time, and issues occur when I'm there too.
5. This is the only playlist I've had this occur on, but this is the only playlist that I use, owned by me, and is updated regularly.
6. I logged out everywhere, and upon logging back in there are two issues present:
         - The length according to the title is "108", but when you scroll down it only goes to 103.
         - Songs 96-99 are exact duplicates of 92-95.

Thanks again!

Hi @Patrol,

Thanks for the detailed info 🙂

Could you try logging in on the desktop app and deleting the duplicate songs (92-95)? Using the Mac desktop client you can also rearrange the tracks in the playlist. After the copy all of them (using Command + A to select everything) and add them to a new playlist. Check if that new playlist plays normally on the web player.

If that doesn't make any difference, try also creating a new playlist without the songs that you know are unplayable/unavailable currently.

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry for the late reply

I copied all non-removed songs from the playlist into a 2nd playlist and it works just fine, however I don't know if there will be no issues in the future.

In the original playlist I deleted one of the duplicates and the rest of duplicates disappeared on their own with the first one, now oddly the numbering stops at 91.

I am satisfied with this solution as long as I don't have reoccurring issues which I why I would have liked to find the root cause, but unless you'd like to do more investigation I would accept your previous comment as solution.

Screenshot 2020-11-23 at 9.52.09 AM.png

It has been 2 months since this issue first occurred and it has occurred again, this time exact same symptoms, duplicating songs, hidden songs, I've detailed the nature of the glitch in previous posts.

Last time I had this issue there was no "fix" instead I was simply supposed to create a new playlist which is incredibly inconvenient as I work on a chromebook and the other device I use ti on mainly is a phone neither of which allow for the ctrl+a, ctrl+c, ctrl+v method mentioned earlier.

How can I be sure I don't run into this glitch in the future?

I'm able to answer any questions.

Hi again @Patrol,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your playlists. Unfortunately, on the web player there isn't a warning when adding duplicate songs, as there is on the mobile and desktop apps, and this can lead to confusion.

In this case, if your Chromebook is Google Play Store Enabled, you can download the Android version of the Spotify app from the Google Play Store for a better experience.

If it isn't, try logging out, restarting your device, and logging back in. It's also worth trying the web player on a different browser to see if that makes any difference. 

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Cheers!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts