Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists Default to Radio of Playlist Instead of Playing

Playlists Default to Radio of Playlist Instead of Playing

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC - an old school tower (issue does not happen on my Android Phone)

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Nearly every time I hit play on a playlist when using my desktop, it automatically plays the "playlist radio" instead of the playlist. I like having the radio option turned on for playing new songs AFTER my playlist has ended, but this jumps straight into the radio - often not even playing more than one song from my actual playlist. 

If I go back in to the playlist (the same way I selected it the first time) and hit play again on the first song in my playlist, usually it will then play the actual playlist instead of the radio version, but not always. 

When I hit play on a playlist on my phone, it works fine. My playlist is played in the order I arranged it every time. 

What setting do I need to change to get this to stop? Or is it a bug?

Granted, I haven't listened on my desktop in awhile now, but I remember it working just fine last year or the year before. What has changed?

69 Replies

P.S. I've been a premium member since around 2013, so I feel like I should know the ins and outs pretty well; I'm not new to Spotify.

Hey there @ConnRed,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community! Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

As we haven’t seen any similar posts about this recently, could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this? If you do, we’d first recommend trying a clean reinstall following the steps in this Spotify Answer.

Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help 🙂

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have also been having this issue recently. It seems to have started around the new year. I am a premium member, but it keeps playing the radio playlist, and not the actual playlist.

Hey there @nexusgx,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

Can you confirm if you followed the steps that @Xenia provided in the reply above?

Also - does this occur on one specific device or multiple devices?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I also have this issue. I've only noticed it when my phone is connected to my car.

Hey @Jeppo80,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Could you let us know if you've tried a clean reinstall as @Xenia suggested above? If that doesn't fix things, could you give us a bit more info about your setup? We'd need the make, model, OS version and Spotify app version of your device, as well as the connection method with your car.

Keep us posted.  We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having the same issue, did a clean reinstall 2 days ago, Still happening, and it's infuriating. Premium member - not happy.

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting in touch about this.

Could you let us know if this is happening across devices or only on a specific one? If so, would you mind sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

On another note, we'd like to know if this happens when you try streaming directly on your device or when you're using the Connect feature or Bluetooth. 

Keep us posted. 

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

It's the desktop app, windows 10 .I did a reinstall 2 days ago because it was playing in shuffle when I hadn't set it to shuffle. Which it seemed to solve. I just turned off the Autoplay similar songs setting hoping it would stop the playlist radio issue. That issue hasn't come back (yet) but it's back to playing in shuffle, thought it's not set to shuffle. wth is going on?

Hi @user-removed, 

Thanks for your quick reply.

In this case, we suggest that you make sure that there isn't any sorting applied to your playlists. 

Additionally, could you let us know if this also happens in the web player?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

No and no

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for the reply.

Could you tell us the exact version of your Spotify client, as well as if you're running the MS store version or the version from our website?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I also have this problem. I am a premium member. This happens to me across devices, both my Windows Surface laptop and my Galaxy s21 phone. When I hit shuffle on a playlist, it will often interrupt the song playing from my playlist to start a playlist radio queue with new songs. I first noticed it when Im playing music in my car. Been going on for a few months.

Since it happens across devices I get the feeling it isn't a problem a reinstall can fix.

Hi there @Benyard,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

To clarify, it's expected that when you tap on the green Shuffle Play button in a playlist, it'll interrupt what's currently playing and start playing the playlist in shuffle (also changing the queue). To avoid that, you can enable the shuffle mode from the button in the player . However, it's your playlist what should play in shuffle and not a Radio based on it.

We'd like to know if this happens with any playlist or just with one or some in particular. Also, let us know if that only happens when you tap on the Shuffle Play button, or if it also happens when starting to play a specific song.

Lastly, we'd also like to know the exact Spotify version you're running on both devices.

Keep us posted. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

The shuffle play when not in shuffle has come back as a problem.  It seems to be  a version of this - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Song-Order-Within-a-Playlist-Keeps-Changing/idi-p/49...

it skips around the order, or the order changes. That's on the desktop app on windows. I don't know waht version but it must be a very recent one because I keep unistalling and re-installing. Can you offer a solution, because I'm not happy that this is worth what I'm paying for, when it constantly malfunctions.

Hey @user-removed, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If you're having the Ongoing issue you mentioned, make sure to click +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread to be notified of any developments.

Also, we suggest that you add the info which we're asking for in the Status update to the comments below. 

Lastly, you can check the version of the app you're running on your device following the steps here

If you need help with anything else, just let us know.

EniModerator

You haven't helped me with anything. I describe a problem, you ask some standard questions, and don't offer a single solution. I've told you what you my problem is. How do I get the windows app to work properly? Who do I ask if not you?

Phone: Google Pixel 4XL Running Android 11
App Version: 8.6.34.749
When hitting the 'shuffle play' button it starts a playlist based radio instead of shuffling the playlist.
Happens regardless of playlist
Have not noticed issue on PC but don't listen there nearly as much as my phone
Happens regardless of connection but I use Bluetooth headphones a lot and wired Android Auto.
Issue has been present for at least 5-6 months.
Complete reinstall did not work and clearing cache did not work.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your messages. 

We tested this from our end, but weren't able to replicate it. However, we can report this to the right folks. 

In order to do so, could you share a video where we can take a better look at what exactly happens? This will help us investigate further.

You can send a link to the video or attach it to your next response to us by using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts