Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast Restarts When Skipping Ad

Podcast Restarts When Skipping Ad

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Samsung Note 9 & PC

Operating System

Android & Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but when an ad comes up during a podcast, skipping it will sometimes restart the podcast episode.

I already don't understand why I have to get ads when I pay to use Spotify, but I've come to accept it. Even if I can't skip ads without entering the application. BUT it's incredibly annoying to have your podcast episode restart while you're listening to it in the car. I'll admit, I keep Spotify open while driving so when the ad comes on, I just have to tap the 15 second skip button a couple times. Randomly though, this will cause the episode to glitch and start over. I won't remember where I was exactly, so then I just have to guess with the slider until I find the right spot.

Oh, and not to mention, sometimes I reopen Spotify (which is running in the background) and that action will also cause episodes to start over.

Doubt Spotify will fix this issue, but I just needed to put it out there.

20 Replies

Hi there @lord_oxium,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

If the clean reinstall doesn't do the trick, can you provide us a screen recording so that we can have a closer look directly from your end?

On another note, can you let us know if this happens while using a different device?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I have this exact issue and it honestly feels like an intentional punishment implemented by Spotify to deter you from skipping ads. Often I open the app while an ad is playing just to change podcasts or switch to music and 10 times out of 10, if a timed ad (I believe they call them dynamic ads, typically on newer episodes) is playing it immediately ends the podcast and loses my progress. This behavior is immensely frustrating and frankly a safety hazard for people who listen to podcasts while driving as it forces you to guess and skip through the podcast just to find where you previously were. 

I have tried a clean install, device restarts, multiple networks and different accounts and the behavior is the same. Frankly, if Spotify can't run ads for premium users without causing a loss in basic functionality (podcast position/progress), they should pull the ads until they fix the issue. Paying customers should not forced be your beta testing guinea pigs. 

Hi @JWO624,

Thank you for sharing your post on this thread. 

We understand where you're coming from and this is definitely not expected to happen on the app, so there are various things we can try here. 

To start, please let us know if you've had this issue only on your phone or if it also happens in other devices. 

On another note, is this happening while you're streaming podcasts or with your downloaded content as well?

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This has been the issue since very first time I used Spotify for Podcasts last year. Happens on all devices I used it on. Windows 10, Android. Please don't tell people to delete and re-install - it's shows how you really don't care about the poster. I can recreate this on command on any fresh install on any Windows machine, thanks to you baking ads in to the timer itself. If you use skip button on windows you'll eventually start an ad on it. That's how you can "skip" the time on an ad but also resets your timer or messes it up. Like I said I can recreate it every day if I want it. If your QA can't catch it, you need new QA.
I even prepared a gif from my screen recording to prove it. And I can do it with any other bug that I found... but It's not my job.

spotify never fails to dissapoint c.gif

I work as QA for e-commerce company. Devs there showed me what kind of ugly tactics are being used by developers. Can't for sure this is one of those, but it sure smells like one.

Hi @arte_nm,

Thank you for posting on this thread.

We'd like to clarify that we ask these questions when we're unable to reproduce the issue (as in this case) to try and pinpoint what the cause could be - either if it's related to the account, network environment, device or something else. 

Since this is happening across different devices, we'd like to make sure if the same issue happens if you let all the ad play by itself, or if it only happens when you skip it manually. 

Also, let us know if it repeats if you're listening to a downloaded episode with the Offline Mode turned on. 

Keep us posted. 

MafeGModerator

it happens to me as well ALL THE TIME, It is odd you spotify "unable to reproduce the issue" if by a quick search online, I can see that everyone complain about this issue. we pay for Premium service, why we even have to deal with ads anyway? 

As for your questions, it does not happen if you keep listening to the ads, only when you skip them (obviously) 

I don't download episodes, so i can't answer the 2nd question. 

Thanks 

Same here. Very annoying. I just assumed thats Spotify's way of enforcing listening to podcasts. I would understand it if I'm on a free plan, but I'm a premium user and I have to put up with several minutes worth of ads? No way. My time or my money, but not both.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your your posts and feedback.

While we don't play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasters may choose to have advertising or sponsorship messages within the episodes.

Regarding th ad issue - let us know if everything works fine if the ad is kept in focus, not skipping and not navigating to other apps.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

This issue is infuriating. First, WE PAY FOR SPOTIFY PREMIUM SO WE DON'T HAVE ADS. If Spotify wants to become the go-to app for podcasts, they need to become fully featured (look at Podcast Addict for an example) and they need to stop playing ads for premium members. Also, while driving it can be very distracting to try and find where you were at in a 3 hour podcast when it just restarts. 

I've attached a video of the problem. This is on my Samsung Galaxy S10+

This happens to me with downloaded episodes for sure (I attached a video in a separate post on this thread), not sure if it happens while streaming as I almost always download episodes in advance.

Hi @mabl

Thanks for getting in touch about this. 

Could you let us know if the same happens when you don't skip, but keep the ads in focus?

Additionally, we'd like to know if it happens on a different device as well or only on your phone.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Happens to me as well. If you let the last 10 secs of the ad play it won't restart the episode. Super dangerous while driving. Please fix this Spotify there aren't this many issues without it being programmed in. 

This happened to me on my Pixel 3. I just purchased a brand new Pixel 6, does the exact same thing. It is not the install or the phone. 

Hi there @augiec10,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

Can you let us know if the same thing occurs if you don't skip the add?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

do you even read what people answer here, or are you just a automated bot replaying a script. Read my answer. any install on any hardware is the same. I even made a gif to prove it. Yet your reply is: *Have you tried re-intalling*.

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community. Just writing to share a couple of useful heads-up!

First-off, to confirm: regarding the reason some podcasts feature ads despite on Premium, make sure you don't miss this post by @Alex, offering some clarification. 

Also, @Jeremy, with his latest reply, and the other Mods are trying to collect as much valuable info as possible in the attempt of figuring out a solution. They need to ask questions to do so, and it'd be great if you keep cooperating and answer those questions.

Thanks!

Mario Moderator

This is BS, I have the same issue and I’m getting to the point where I am ready to cancel my subscription. 

Because of this issue and many others, I canceled my subscription with Spotify and have moved back to keeping all my music locally. Sucks, but I'd rather have control over my music than let a multi-billion dollar company not take their customers seriously.

Suggested posts