Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast glitching out; won't allow play on select episodes

Solved!

Podcast glitching out; won't allow play on select episodes

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

iPhone 7+

My Question or Issue

I am attempting to listen to BBC's Global News Podcast. However, episodes will seemingly randomly not play on my phone (no issue on PC). I will be able to listen to one just fine, and then the next day rolls around and tapping the episode will play it for a split second and then stop, closing the Now Playing tab. 

Any ideas? Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for all your reports so far.

We've passed this on to the right teams and they are aware of this.

Right now, we're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest and best version.

In the meanwhile, if you need a hand with anything else, don't hesitate to start a new thread in our Help Boards and we'll be happy to take a closer look.

Have a nice day!

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

54 Replies

Hey @Mountain_King, welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear this - No worries, I’ll be happy to help 🙂

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstall of the app. Just follow these steps.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest next 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I did try both and neither worked...I wonder if anyone else is having the same issue with this podcast in particular? 

@Mountain_King,

Thanks for the report.

I’ve checked this on my device, and it looks like there is an issue with playing this Podcast. 

I will report this, and get back to you with any updates 🙂

Billy-JSpotify Star

Thank you so much...good to know it isn't just me. Definitely interested to hear if anything comes of it. Otherwise I will just keep checking it day to day. Thanks again!

Hey @Mountain_King!

Thanks for reaching out to the community about this.

Could you send us the podcast's URI or Link? Also, could you send us the exact iOS and Spotify version?

In the meantime, if you have a different iPhone, try using your account on it to see if it behaves the same.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Same exact thing is happening to me. My IOS is 11.4.1. Spotify version is 8.4.67.665.the link is https://open.spotify.com/episode/51GJMKy2D0fUNrbOEczBTs?si=Iq0UhsPfRkKjnGC_EWIMSQ

Hi Alfredo -

URI: spotify:show:2Nsk9skaPGNK8bvhxtDpr9

iOS 11.1.2

Spotify version 8.4.65
Unfortunately don't have another phone.

Oh, and it is doing it on PC now too...

I have the same issue on Android. I have a Huawei P10.

Spotify version 8.4.67.886 armV7

BBC's global news podcast just won't play. Other podcast don't have the issue. Here's a link to the affected podcast.

https://open.spotify.com/show/2Nsk9skaPGNK8bvhxtDpr9?si=8EQY4UhhToe6AuYS0Aubng

Hey folks! 

I've taken a look at the podcast and there seems to be some episodes not playing properly. Can you pin down the exact episodes and send us the link of each one? On the other hand, if it happens with every episode, let us know. 

Cheers!

Hey @FabianS_Bogota

One of them I’m aware aren’t playing is BBC’s Global News Podcasts. 

Hope that helps.

Billy-JSpotify Star

Another frustrated user here. About a third of tghe BBC Global News Podcasts only play for a fraction of a second. I can't find a pattern. Premium user on an iPhone 6s.

Seems to be the morning BBC Global Podcasts usually. Tried both on Android and on Windows.

Hey peeps,

We're having our team look into this as we can see it's happening to many of you. 

As soon as we have more information we will update you in this thread 🙂 

No podcast will work for me.  I’ve tried several different ones and different episodes I get same message “can’t play while connected to another device” I’m not connected to another device.

Same here.  Seems to happen on either the latest or second latest episdoe.  If i've missed a few days i will try to queue them up.

Spotify 8.4.70.666 armV7

Android 8.10

Hey @Mountain_King@stp2110@jca27@jhkoenig,

Could you please confirm if you are all getting the “can’t play while connected to another device” error message only with the BBC podcast and all other podcasts play fine?

Looking for your reply!

@Guido there is no error message.  The episode title gets highlighted for a moment like it's about to play, and then nothing happens. 

May I ask if anybody has a problem with the podcast " Hello From The Magic Tavern". It seems that I am not able to download any episodes. All other podcasts are working fine.

@user-removed wrote:

May I ask if anybody has a problem with the podcast " Hello From The Magic Tavern". It seems that I am not able to download any episodes. All other podcasts are working fine.

I'm having an issue with "Hello from the Magic Tavern" as well... Some episodes take a very long time to start playing, others will just never start playing.  I hit play and it just sits there for a long long time....

Suggested posts