Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast playback speed on echo

Podcast playback speed on echo

Podcast playback speed works well on phone, on Bluetooth headphones but not when connected to Echo dot. On app it says 3x but it plays normal speed. Tried with various podcasts, same result. 

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Samsung Galaxy 7 

Screenshot_20190816-222158.png
10 Replies

I also have this problem - did you find a solution? Also I am on the iPhone XS so it’s not just android. Thanks

Seems like an odd limitation. If I set an increased speed on computer or Android and then switch to Echo Dot device the stream picks up at the same point but plays at 1x. From Windows you can see the speed set to 2x etc and then more to Echo the speed switches to 1x and is grayed out!

Is this something Spotify need to fix or Amazon?

Hi there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

The way Spotify currently interacts with the Amazon echo speakers is not possible to control the playback speed of podcasts while streaming via Connect.

If you think other users might also like it, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

As a workaround you can try connecting to the Echo dot via Bluetooth from your devices and play the podcasts that way, rather than using Spotify Connect over your Home Wi-Fi. This should play any content which is streaming on the app with the same settings that are currently active on the phone or computer.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm still not 100% clear on who is responsible for fixing this. Is it Amazon or Spotify?

"The way Spotify currently interacts with the Amazon echo speakers is not possible to control the playback speed". Is this something Spotify could change or does it require something from Amazon? I do use bluetooth but that only works with a single Echo.

Hi @awestrope,

Let us clarify this. When you're using the Echo speaker connected over Wi-Fi with Spotify Connect the podcast/music is streamed from the speaker itself. So the speaker sends a request for a certain track to the servers and outputs sound. However, the functionality of the Echo dot speakers doesn't allow for selective playback speed when using Spotify.

If you're connected using your phone/PC via Bluetooth to the speaker, the phone is the device that is streaming the music (and allows you to choose a different playback speed) and the Echo dot is being used only as a speaker.

This is why we suggested you create an Idea on the relevant Idea board, as this is the best way to request a feature for one of the future updates of the app. If enough users like the idea and vote for it it is most likely going to be implemented.

Hope this clears thing up.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

"However, the functionality of the Echo dot speakers doesn't allow for selective playback speed when using Spotify."

This implies that Amazon need to make that allowable? So there is no point adding an idea for Spotify that can't be implemented and I would be better making that suggestion to Amazon?

I'm honestly not trying to be difficult just want to understand where the limitation is. The quoted text from your last message implies that is Amazon not Spotify.

I understand streaming from the app is a different thing but as I pointed out before this is limited to playing from a single Echo

I had the same issue, I've posted it as an idea to Spotify please vote for it below.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Playback-speed-of-podcasts-on-echo-speakers/idi-p/...

Thanks, done

I've voted! Thanks for raising

Suggested posts