Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy A40

Operating System

Android 11, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi there,

In december my Sonos devices no longer recognized podcasts played from Spotify. When I've been connected to a sonos device via spotify connect and tried to play a podcast from Spotify, the device icon has been flashing but then nothing happened.

I already posted a thread in the community: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Other-Podcasts-Partners-etc/Spotify-Podcasts-can-t-be-played-on-Son...

Spotifys solution was, that i delete my account and transfer it to a new one. As im the holder of a family account, thats not really practible. Now the same problem occurs AGAIN: When I try to select a device from my phone or desktop Spotify app while playing a podcast, nothing happens, almost like the app didn't even recognize the input.

• I have uninstalled and logged out of Spotify on all of my devices.
  • I have unlinked and relinked the Spotify skill fromSonos
  • I have removed and reset all of my Sonos devices.
  • I have reset my network.
  • I've toggled allowing only local devices.
  • I've tried playing maybe 30 different podcasts in case my usual podcasts stopped being supported, but NONE of the podcasts would play.

Any solution?

14 Replies

Hey there @drakeschmiet1

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community. 

Would you mind asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your phone to check if this happens using a different account as well?

On another note, we suggest that you check if the firmware of your Sonos speaker is up to date.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I tried another account, it worked without any problems.
My sonos system is updated to the latest version

Hey @drakeschmiet1,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

If another account works fine on your device, the issue may be directly related to your account.

Since we haven't received any similar reports, we'd suggest getting in touch with the folks at Customer Support again so they can take a look at your individual account and assist you further, as this isn't something that we can do from the Community.

If anything else comes up, the Community will be here for you.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Just wanted to say I, and a few other folks in other threads I have found, am having this EXACT same issue. I do not know how or why it stopped working, but this sucks since Google Podcasts isn’t supported in Sonos, and Google only supports Spotify and google podcasts for podcasts. 

Deleting an account should NEVER be a solution to a problem. If I told my users that, I wouldn’t have a job. Spotify has to have the capability to figure out and repair this issue. 

Hey there @daneabernathy and @drakeschmiet1,

As @Novy suggested, we'd advise getting in touch with the folks at Customer Support again so they can take a look at your individual account and assist you further, as this isn't something that is doable for us in the Community.
Checking your cached data on Spotify's end for errors is something they can do and such errors could very well be causing this kind of issue.
It is worth trying before needing to transfer your entire data to a new account.

Let us know how it goes 🙂
Many thanks!

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hey,

So I reached out to the folks at customer support. After explaining the problem multiple times to multiple people, getting the same "solutions" suggested (new account, clear cache, reinstall the app, etc.) there's still no solution. 

They told me that the case was forwarded to a tech team which will contact me via mail. That was more than 5 weeks ago and so I'm sitting here, still waiting for a message from the tech support..... and yes, I checked my spam folder....

I'm having the same issue. I can play any music from Spotify to Sonos that I want, but I can't play any Spotify podcasts through my Sonos system (from either the Sonos app or Spotify app). 

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts here.

@drakeschmiet1 sorry to hear you didn't receive answer from the Support folks yet, but we'd suggest you to either wait a bit more, or bump your email correspondence there to re-confirm the issue is still unresolved for you. Because when it comes to account related matters, they are the ones that can help you further.

@Novotus could we get more info about your situation as well? Were you able to play podcasts previously and when did you notice this behavior of the app? Have you tried any troubleshooting so far? If yes please share it with us, so we don't give you redundant suggestions. Also, we can suggest to you to try it with a different Spotify account (maybe of a friend or a relative), this is to rule out the possibility of having an account related issue in the first place.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator

Same issue tried all the listed above. Surely nonsense it "relates to your account". Device maybe. Location?  (UK) again maybe. But a technical glitch like this relative to user ID

Doesn't ring right at all to me

Same thing is happening to me in the US (Denver, CO), so I doubt it's location.  It worked fine before.  Nothing has changed on my end, and Spotify and SONOS are both running the most current versions.  It happens regardless of whether I launch it from an iPhone, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or Windows machine.  It will play for about 6 minutes and then go silent.  It "looks like" it's playing on the counter on both the SONOS app and the Spotify app, but the audible sound just stops.  Every. Single. Time.

Hey @Xinu,

Thank you for your reply in this thread!

Just to check, have you tried restarting your devices and your router to make sure everything is synced up?

Does this occur only with one podcast or with all of them? Would you mind trying to stream different podcasts and see if you'll still experience this?

On another note, there are some limitations that exists for some podcast and that might be the reason why you can't stream them using Connect feature. There is an idea about changing this here, you can check it and leave +Vote to support it, so that it would have a better chance of being considered.

Keep us posted.

LyubkaModerator

I have restarted all SONOS devices, entirely switched and upgraded my network to a UDM pro device, have the top tier consumer service XFINITY offers, have deleted and re-added the Spotify service in SONOS.  It happens on ALL things - podcasts or long songs at the 6 minute mark.  Both apps - SONOS & Spotify - appear to still be playing.  The counters are moving and times are in sync, but the sound is just gone and never comes back.  If I pause and restart, it plays for another 6 minutes and then the same thing happens.  I pay for the Spotify premium (or whatever it’s called) version too. This happens regardless of what device I start it from - iPhone, iPad, MacBook, Windows laptop.

Hey @Xinu,

Sorry to see you've been experiencing such an issue.
Let's try to get to the bottom of it! We have a few questions for you 🙂

Does the described behaviour occur only with Spotify or with any media app?
Have you checked if there are any pending Sonos firmware updates?

When you play shorter songs, does the sound stop after 6 minutes as well or can shorter songs play indefinitely?

Does the podcast sound also stop after 6 minutes or do they not play at all?

Tip: It's worth taking a look if your issue is related to this Ongoing Issue we have under investigation over here.

Tip: The issue may also be Sonos-related. Check the links below for additional info:

We'll be on the lookout for your response.
Cheers!

VasilModerator

I have the exact same problem and so there is no fix. 

Suggested posts