Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcasts playing in random order

Podcasts playing in random order

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Both Moto G7 Optimo Maxx and Asus laptop

Operating System

Both Andriod 10 and Windows 10

My Issue

On both the desktop app and my phone app my podcast queue is not working right. When I play an episode from oldest to newest it puts a handful of random episodes posted after the one I'm listening to in the queue, and it seems to be consistently less than 10 episodes. When I play an episode from newest to oldest there is a lot of episodes in the queue in order, but it skips many episodes. When I play it longest to shortest or shortest to longest there seems to be no issue. I have done a clean reinstall of both apps and nothing has changed. This issue does not happen on the web version of Spotify, just the apps. Both apps are updated fully. Music is not impacted.

21 Replies

Hi there @Systematically,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We'd like to have a closer look into this. You've done a great job with the troubleshooting so far!

Can you have someone log in with their account on one of the devices? This will help us understand if it's account related or not.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

And yeah have you listened to all of those random episodes? now you cannot listen to all of those episodes thanks to an irritating bug on the app.

I am serious just click all completed and you will not be able to relisten to these, I hope this is a bug or something, and if it isn't then I am surely dead in this app.

It is happening on podcasts I have never listened to as well as the podcast I am listening to again.

And also you now can't relisten to all the episodes chronologically from oldest to newest now thanks to this bug or whatever it is, I even tried to make an idea complaining about this issue but it doesn't let me do that, it just doesn't.

I have been unable to find someone to help, but if that does happen to change I will make sure to post the results. I have noticed this also happens on my Samsung Galaxy tablet and so I have done a clean reinstall with the same result, nothing.

@Systematically yeah for some reason they continue their job as if nothing happened here.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for letting us know that. 

@Suleymantekin, could you let us know if this started happening after a specific event such as an update? Additionally, we'd like to know if this happens with all of the podcasts or only with some specific ones.

@Systematically, just to confirm, have you tried asking a friend or a relative to log in to their account in your devices to check if the issue persists with a different account? Also, would you mind sending us some screenshots of how the episodes order appears on your end so we can take a closer look? You can attach it to your next response by using the Insert image option in the post editor. This will help us investigate further.

On another note, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

We'll be waiting for your replies.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

@Eni it happened like out of nowhere, so I don't know if it's an update or something.

@Eni the problem is that I used to listen to some of the episodes in chronological order but now thanks to whatever that is that once you play all of these episodes now you can no longer listen to it in chronological order whatsoever, I don't know but this started to happen on Thursday morning. This basically means that you have to either play it as a single episode or you have to somewhat turn off all of the episodes played to unplayed which is not a helpful thing for me. This bug has been happening since that day and no one seems to be talking about it, basically everyone's dead silent about this situation and it must be fixed at some point.

Hey @Suleymantekin,

Thanks for the reply.

In order to look into this further, could you please let us know your device model, exact OS version and Spotify version.

@Systematically, please provide us with the same information for at least one of your affected devices.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

My device is iOS 12.4.1 and this issue still persists to this day.

Hi @Suleymantekin,

Thank you for your reply and for the provided information.

Can you also let us know which version of the app you're having?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy 8.7.8 I think

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your posts and the info provided here.

Jumping in to point out that there is an Ongoing Issue thread over here, where users discuss and exchange feedback for a similar issue related to the order of podcast shows. You can check out if it's applicable to you, then make sure to add your feedback, as well as your votes there and follow the thread for further updates.  

What we can suggest as a workaround for the time being is to use your "Add to queue" feature, as anything you place in your playback queue, it'll play in the order that you've intended to.

Hope you find this useful. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Also having this issue, a recent development on Mac OS and iPhone versions of Spotify. Starting a podcast, with the settings at "unplayed" and "oldest to newest", adds a random assortment of seasons' episodes to the queue (see photo). The episodes do not play in the order shown on the show page with those settings set. They do not appear to be an any kind of alphabetical order as another issue mentioned. 

Adding a comment to catch updates now, as nothing else has fixed this issue. 

Mac OS Monterey Version 12.2.1

iOS 15.3.1

Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.1.82.758.g8b7b66c7

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 2.46.30 PM.png

I found a temp fix for this annoying issue. I remove all the incorrect queue by clicking the top and holding shift and going down and left click removing and going in and adding each one of the correct order to the queue I added about 6 and it appears to maybe have figured it out. 

That does work, but only if you don't switch to a different podcast or
start listening on a different device. It's a real pain to deal with when
you're in the car and can't do much more than skip until the right next
episode comes up.

I'm experiencing the same thing.
Device: Mac OS Monterey Version 12.5.1

I've previously had the same issue and uninstalling + reinstalling the app did the trick. Not this time though.

It's extremely annoying. The order of the queued podcasts makes no sense.Skærmbillede 2022-09-12 kl. 13.56.55.png

Suggested posts