Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Possible to use Spotify in Android Auto layout all the time?

Solved!

Possible to use Spotify in Android Auto layout all the time?

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Android 10 Headunit

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

When my phone is connected to my android head unit via Android Auto, Spotify displays with a large interface that's very clear and easy to use. 

IMG_20210908_173411.jpg

Unfortunately, when I use Spotify directly on the head unit, either natively, or via Android Auto/car mode on the device itself, I get either the tablet view that's very small and not simple to use, especially when driving, or the over-simple list view version. 

IMG_20210908_173558.jpg

IMG_20210908_173541.jpg

Is it possible to tell Spotify to use the layout that it does when the phone is connected? Both Spotify versions are the same, although the one on the head unit does not have settings for car mode that the phone does (is Possible to use Spotify in Android Auto layout all the timethis not included in tablet versions?)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @shojy,

Thanks for the post.

It's currently not possible to manually select a different layout on the Spotify app installed in your car's head unit. 

This is something designed and managed by the car manufacturer.

Hope this information clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hey @shojy,

Thanks for the post.

It's currently not possible to manually select a different layout on the Spotify app installed in your car's head unit. 

This is something designed and managed by the car manufacturer.

Hope this information clears things up. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply. I'll admit it does confuse me a little since all 3 layouts are shown on the same headunit, two via Android Auto, so my assumption was that there was something different about Spotify on the phone Android Auto compared to the head Android Auto. 

If it can't be changed at this time though, that's fine, I'll just await the time that I can use the nice layout in the future. 

Alex - passing the buck is classic non-response to a question.  Watch some politicians - they've made a career by doing that.

Spotify could create an Android headunit specific application interface that would work well, and safely in an automotive environment.  They've chosen not to, leaving paying customers with an unsatisfactory experience, which will discourage becoming a long-term paying customer.

Why haven't they (and it CAN be done, see your competitor's offerings)?  I can only assume money - that drives the actions of most companies.  Throwing the blame back on the OS or the manufacturer of the headunit or vehicle is lame.  It's like throwing up your hands, waving them around and saying "Not me! Not me!" - well, it IS you (Spotify).   Android autos version of Spotify is much more useable than the native Android version.  How was that done?  Magic?

Sorry if this sounds like I'm chewing you out, but actually I am.  Your answers were non-responsive and an attempt to shrug off a problem that will be an issue for more and more drivers as Android headunits take over the marketplace.

Suggested posts