Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Queue always shuffles when switching between devices

Queue always shuffles when switching between devices

Plan

Premium family plan

Country

Ireland

Device

Pixel 3XL / PC / Chromecast / Google Home

Operating System

Android 11 / Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Whenever I connect/disconnect or switch to a different device on Spotify connect whether its from my laptop to my phone or to my google home my queue gets re-shuffled every time.

I find this quite annoying because I end up having to constantly skip through songs which I've just heard because now they're all in a different order.

13 Replies

Hey @Declancheetham,

That seems odd, but don't worry. I'm here to help!

I want to suggest that you try logging out everywhere. After that log back in on all of your devices. This should force a account wide server resync. If this doesn't change anything I'd ask you to try creating a test account with another email or Facebook and check whether the other account behaves the same way.

Let me know how it goes.

MauriceMVRock Star 7
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply, unfortunately the problem persists. It's as if every time I switch to a different device the shuffle is turned off then on again.

Hi there @Declancheetham

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Could you let us know if this only happens when the Shuffle option is on?

Additionally, sending us the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device would come in handy. 

Also, would you mind sending us a short video of the issue happening so we can take a closer look?

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Yep it only happens when shuffle is turned on or when I've shuffled playlists.

I'm using a Google Pixel 3XL running android 11 with April security patch,
Spotify version is 8.6.26.897.

I will send a video in another reply as with internet in rural Ireland it'll probably take ah hour or so to upload even a short one.

Hey @Declancheetham

Thanks for getting back to us with this info. 

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Here is the video https://photos.app.goo.gl/d8xepjkZJdNxdSWJ6 I couldn't upload it here because it's bigger than 5mb

Unfortunately I'm the only one in the house with a Spotify account and Ireland is still in lockdown so I cant have a friend over or go to a friends house

Hi @Declancheetham

Thanks for your reply. 

Not to worry. In this case, could you try creating a new test account here? This will help us continue investigating the issue. 

Let us know how it goes.

NovyModerator

Ok I set up a new account and shuffled a playlist then connected to my google home speaker and the same thing happened except loads of random songs were added to the queue when I connected to the speaker (I assume this is something to do with it being a non-premium account)

I also was able to ask some other people who have Spotify and they said that this same thing is affecting them too.

Hi again @Declancheetham

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

This currently seems to be an expected behavior.

We really value your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, and we'll be sure to pass this on to the right folks here at Spotify.

Don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up. 

Have a good one!

NovyModerator

I'm totally baffled by the last response.  What does "this currently seems to be an expected behavior" mean?  I have been experiencing the same issue and it's incredibly frustrating, especially when you have a huge playlist and you are halfway through, switch to a different device, and now the queue has reshuffled and songs you've already listened to are back in the queue.  Did the tech's final response mean that the behavior is normal?  When I switch devices, there is no good reason for my queue to reshuffle.

Late to the party. But if you stop listening on one device and then turn on another they are two separate listening instances so it would be normal. If you’re listening say on your phone, turn your laptop on and they connect so you swap the speaker output it transfers the instance. But you’d have to do that every time you switch device 

This is still a problem in 2023 and it's infuriating.

Premium user

All visible shuffle options are set to off. I NEVER WANT SHUFFLE. 

I don't use the giant play button in your terrible interface that also causes shuffle.

I just want my playlists to play in order. They will play correctly on my phone only, but as soon as I use Spotify Connect to use my Echo Dot or my Roku it force shuffles. Again all the shuffle options are off on my mobile app and on the connected device. WHY? 

Suggested posts