Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Skipping 5 songs in playlist and only playing 10 seconds?

Skipping 5 songs in playlist and only playing 10 seconds?

When i select any song to play the web client will skip forward exactly 5 songs in the playlist, and then only play 10 seconds of music from the song.
This behavior is on the Firefox web browser.

Top Answer
Vasil

Hey folks!

We've merged your posts into this single thread as they seem to be related to the same issue!

The right folks are onto it and we'll make sure to keep you posted as soon as we have anything new to share 🙂

In the meantime, if you haven't already, please let us know the following details:

• You device, it's OS version and your current Spotify version
  • If the issue is occurring on the Web Player, please include your browser type as well (after making sure it's up-to-date)
  • The troubleshooting you've tried so far

Many thanks!

91 Replies

I was having the same problem, updating my Chrome solved the issue for me.

Hello, I have a problem playing music, both from the App and on the Desktop. When I select a song to play, it instantly skips 5 songs, and on the 5th song it plays up to 10 seconds and stops. This started right after I renewed my plan. I can't hear anything, not even in the likes or in some playlist already defined by third parties or artists.

Without solution so far.

This is happening since December 12 on my work-restricted laptop using Windows 10 and Edge. Switching to a different browser or downloading the app is not an option.

Same here, I've never had any problems, then this morning I upgraded to a paid subscription and immediately, tracks are skipping,  play for a few seconds, then won't play, and sound cuts out. It's the same on my android phone too. What's going on?

Hi Carlos, 

I tried using incognito and a different browser and it keeps happening. Cleared cookies, signed off everywhere. Nothing seems to work.

I need to use the web browser at work and that the only reason I pay for premium. I'm now considering cancelling because I simply can't use this service. 

On the web version of spotify, when I start a track (playlist or not), two are instantly skipped and the third play only for 10 seconds and then the sound is off. Last week it was 6 tracks skipped.
Removing browser data do not solve the problem.
Please help.

Hi Alex,

This only happens to me on edge, at work. So I can't use any other browsers for the webplayer. I also can't install the app. 

Doesn't work on private mode either. I have logged out of everywhere and cleared cookies. This wasn't happening for 3 months, only started this week. 

Same issue here. 

I am running Chrome 101 on Ubuntu 20. 

Tried clearing my cache, updating Chrome, etc.

This problem has been around for 5 years.  Fixed by Spotify at some point, with different explanations then a regression to the same problem. 

DNS issues can't cause it because Windows 10 and Chrome work fine.

Changing subscription types have nothing to do with it, as I haven't changed my subscription models.

The problem happens with Spotfy generated playlists as well. 

The same playlist works fine in the Windows or Ubuntu Spotify app.

This is a problem with the Spotify web client's compatibility with certain OSs and/or web browsers.

Would it be possible the Spotify web client to query the OS and browser version and at least let the user know that their configuration is unsupported?

Obviously Spotify would have to maintain a list of supported OSs and browser versions.

Many thanks for looking into this.

Hello,
Looked everywhere but couldn't seem to find the answer. Spotify is skipping over most songs I try to play. If I play an album, it will skip over most tracks and hop to the same song every time, and then only play about ten seconds of that song. I've tried this on multiple devices on both the desktop app in the browser. I currently have the individual premium plan.

You're not alone.  Been having this issue for the past few days.  Playlists start to skip around randomly as if random play is on and will often repeat songs multiple times.  

This is also happening to me for about a month at this point. Exactly as described. On any playlist (mine or Spotify created), I click play and it immediately skips the first 5 songs, then plays 10 seconds of the sixth, and stops.

I am using Chrome (Version 106.0.5249.119) on Mac (macOS Monterey Version 12.6 on a MacBook Pro with Apple M1 Pro chip).

Video attached.

UPDATE: Updating Chrome to Version 108.0.5359.124 (Official Build) (arm64) fixed the issue for me. I don't know if it was a Chrome software fix or just the whole browser relaunch (closing all windows), but it fixed it. Working as expected now.

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

HP Chromebook 14 - SMB

Operating System

Google Chrome OS

My Question or Issue

On Spotify webplayer, when I try to play a song, it skips 5 songs, play the 6th song for exactly 10 seconds then the audio cuts off after that. My browser seems to be up-to-date, so I'm not really sure what the problem is. Can someone help me out?

it happens the same to me and am on a chromebook, i've been using web player for a year or so. The problem started when i switched the cards for the premium family plan and joined to the new family.

Desde ya hace un mes aproximadamente, si quiero escuchar alguna canción/lista de reproducción, lo primero que hace es saltear las canciones automáticamente y ya cuando se para en una solamente me permite escuchar 10 segundos de canción y luego se silencia.
Realmente no tengo ni idea de por qué puede ser, yo tengo un ordenador Linux y uso Spotify desde la web. Nunca hasta el momento me había dado ningún problema y se reproducía correctamente, pero pasó de un día para otro.
En el móvil, por ejemplo, sí se reproduce correctamente, pero en el ordenador hasta si cambio de navegador sigue igual 😞

hi im using microsoft edge on an acer laptop, windows 10, and im having the same issue with web player. 

ive tried playing music in a private browser but it hasnt worked ! 

Hi folks!

If you're still experiencing this issue, check if there are any updates available for your browser by going to Settings > About. In case the issue persists even after updating to the latest version, please share which browser you're using as well as the version you're running.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Issue has not been solved.

Browser version for work device

Chrome Version 86.0.4240.193 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Cannot update.

I'll check at home as well.

Hey there @mistercherno

Thanks for your reply. 

It sounds like the version of your browser is not up to date. Since you mentioned that it's a work device, we suggest that you ask the administrator to help you updating it to the latest version.

On another note, take your time to check this on your personal PC as well and let us know how it goes. 

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

On the Chrome web player on a Dell computer, I will hit play on a song/playlist I want to listen to. However, Spotify will skip several songs by itself and go straight to ads, then skip a couple more songs before playing a song. This has been happening for the last three times I tried listening to it this past week. I have not tried any other browser.

Suggested posts