Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Something went wrong - Try reloading the page (Firefox 85)

Solved!

Something went wrong - Try reloading the page (Firefox 85)

Plan

Free

Country

USA

Device

Lenovo ThinkPad T430

Operating System

Windows 10

Browser

Firefox 85.0

My Question or Issue

Hi! I've been having a seemingly rather unique issue - as in, there are plenty of solutions online but not one has worked for me. I recently switched to Firefox, and when I try to open the Web Player, it gives me the very descriptive error message "Something went wrong". I had to manually install Widevine CDM, and Firefox refused to connect to the default download website. This might be related to the fact that when I try to load Spotify, Firefox tries (and fails) an XHR GET request to https://spclient.wg.spotify.com/widevine-license/v1/application-certificate. In fact, Firefox makes multiple requests to spclient.wg.spotify.com, and fails all of them. I've tried (globally) turning off both my adblock and Firefox's default anti-tracking features; of course, neither worked. I also tried using a user agent switcher to pretend I was using Edge. The Web Player still works fine in Chrome, but I would like to switch to Firefox entirely.

Possibly related: this page, the post message page, also didn't work right in Firefox. It reloaded in a seemingly infinite loop. I didn't investigate this any further; I'm writing this from Chrome. Google Meet also doesn't work (I'm not looking for help on this, just saying it in case it's relevant to my issue); I get stuck on the getting ready to join screen. I've had to open Chrome for all my online classes.

Please help! I've been trying to figure this issue out for days, and it's been fruitless.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi @mindfuzz,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This sounds like it's related to the Firefox browser itself. You can try to clear the cache and disable any extensions like ad blockers.

Another thing you can try is to run an older version of the Firefox browser ( make sure it's v. 47+)

You can also check if there are any entries containing Spotify in the host files of your system and delete those. Follow the steps in this Solution.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marked as solution

Hi @mindfuzz,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

This sounds like it's related to the Firefox browser itself. You can try to clear the cache and disable any extensions like ad blockers.

Another thing you can try is to run an older version of the Firefox browser ( make sure it's v. 47+)

You can also check if there are any entries containing Spotify in the host files of your system and delete those. Follow the steps in this Solution.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator

Thank you so much! It was my hosts file.

Hey @mindfuzz,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Glad to hear that everything is working ok now after clearing the host files.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts