Songs can't be played on mobile even though I can play it on laptop

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S9

My Question or Issue

I listen to Japanese songs, and since some of the songs are available in iTunes, I bought them from the iTunes store and then add to my spotify playlist using my laptop and download them so I can listen to them on my phone. However, I notice that there are 3 songs in particular that I can't listen to on my phone no matter what. I found out that this is because the songs are actually available on spotify, just not playable. I can click on the artist and album name on spotify and the song is there but it's just greyed out. The problem is, I bought this song legally from iTunes and have it as a local file. That's why I can play it on my laptop, but why can't I just download it into my phone like how it is with the rest of the songs that isn't actually available on spotify? This means I just wasted money buying those songs because I can't listen to them on my phone in the first place.

3 Replies

Hey @irwinpanguripan, help's here.

As this help article explains, Spotify supports the following file types: 

• .mp3
  • .m4p (unless it contains video)
  • .mp4 (if QuickTime is installed on your computer)

The iTunes lossless format (M4A) is not supported. 

If you have a supported file that's not playing, perform a quick reinstall for a fresh start and to ensure that you have the latest Spotify version. This means that you'll have to re-download any music you've saved for offline use.

If that doesn't work, try putting the files in another folder and use that folder as a source for local files from your app's settings. Rename the files if necessary to something that only contains letters and spacing, without any special characters.

If possible, try switching between different networks and see if that helps.

Hope that helps!

I'm afraid you missed my question hahaah. So I have no issues with most songs that I bought on iTunes (I checked they are on M4A format but I can still play them on Spotify) (When I am connected to the same wifi, I could also download those songs that is available from my laptop locally into my phone Spotify) 

However, the songs that I could download to my phone all have the same thing in common: The artists are not available on Spotify themselves (such as Nao Toyama and sumika).

The issue I am having is with songs I have purchased from iTunes that is performed by artists that has a Spotify page (such as Aqua Timez and KANA-BOON). When I click these artists' page, no songs come up (I assume this is because of the region lock), but since I have the local files on my laptop, I could still play those songs. However, these songs can't be downloaded to my phone, let alone played (even if they are currently connected to the same wifi)

Hey @irwinpanguripan,

We understand what you mean. Even though a format works with Spotify, there may still be restrictions set on individual tracks from iTunes that doesn't allow them to be played on Spotify. 

If the metadata is not locked, try changing it to another artist, and make sure the tracks are named using latin characters only. 

Heads up: if there are any restrictions on the local files, we might not be able to help out. 

Let us know how it goes.

Suggested posts