Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sonos - Account in use somewhere else

Sonos - Account in use somewhere else

Hi,

I‘m having a problem with Spotify on Sonos. Today I tried to play music in my kitchen and different music in my bathroom at the same time via two Sonos speakers via the Sonos App.

Once I played the music in the bathroom, the music in the kitchen stopped playing and the warning “Your Spotify account is in use somewhere else” popped up.

Sonos app is up to date. Sonos system

is up to date. I already logged out my Spotify from all devices via the website, and logged in on my Sonos speakers again.

It keeps happening on and on.

I’m using a Spotify family account (via my E-Mail).

Up until today it has always been working and I often had two different playlists playing in the two different rooms. Don’t know what happened but it is really annoying.

Thanks in advance for your help!

10 Replies

Hey @ReinekeFuchs,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Take into account that it's not possible to use a single Spotify account to stream different content in multiple devices at the same time. You'd need different Spotify accounts to have simultaneous streams to separate devices.

In case that this was possible for you in the past, most likely something has changed on Sonos's side. 

Hope this info is helpful. If you have any questions, just let us know.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I also started to experience this issue.

I have a Spotify Premium account. This has been working for a good 2 years now and after updating the Spotify and Sonos apps a few days ago. I can no longer play different playlists or songs on different Sonos speakers on the same network. If a song is playing on a Sonos speaker and if I try to play a different playlist on a different Sonos, I would a message on the Sonos app of Playback stopped in Room. Your Spotify account is in use somewhere else.

I contacted Sonos about this and they pointed it to Spotify, an issue with the music service while they advertise to be able to play different songs in different rooms using the Spotify service.

@Eni wrote:

Hey @ReinekeFuchs,

Take into account that it's not possible to use a single Spotify account to stream different content in multiple devices at the same time.

Not entirely correct.

When you add a single spotify account inside the *SONOS app* then for years you *COULD* play different playlists on your various SONOS speakers without an issue!

That was until last Friday, since then I experience the exact same issue as @ReinekeFuchs and @neocoyote !

@Eni wrote:

In case that this was possible for you in the past, most likely something has changed on Sonos's side. 

Well, SONOS support says this is a spotify issue.... So now what?

Hi there @cholzer,

Thank you for your reply.

We're unsure why this was communicated as such by the SONOS CS staff, it might be a misunderstanding.

There's info on the limitations mentioned on their support site here

Streaming from Spotify from one account is restricted to one device or one device group at a time. You can however switch groupings and pairings of your devices via the Sonos app to avoid unintended playback interruptions.

Keep us posted 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I did another test on this to highlight that this might be a Spotify issue. 

I have a single Amazon Prime Music account and was able to play 2 different playlists and 2 different songs on 2 different Sonos speakers. I also signed up for a single Apple Music account to test this. Same result as the Amazon Prime Music, I was able to stream 2 different playlists or songs on 2 different Sonos speakers.

It's a little annoying how it would just stopped working after close to 2 years of using the Spotify Music service and update to the app caused it... 

@Jeremy wrote:

There's info on the limitations mentioned on their support site here

1. when you take a minute to compare what this issue here is about to what the topic you linked to speaks of then you will realise that these are 2 entirely different things.

2. when you carefuly read the explanations in this thread here you will realise that for many years you could connect one spotify account to your SONOS system and then play different playlists on multiple speakers at the same time. This BROKE just last week!

I wanted to post an update.

After a few days of this not working with 2 different Sonos speakers with 2 different music, it just started to work fine again today. I’m able to play 2 different playlists on 2 different Sonos speakers. I didn’t make any changes to my network or setup and was just trying it out again. I would like to post a screenshot of my Sonos app to show that there are 2 different songs playing on 2 different speakers but not sure how.

I have a single Premium account not a family account.

I am a Spotify Premium subscriber and am having an even more extreme version of this. My wife and I have distinct profiles under our plan, both of which are setup inside the Sonos app.  My wife can be listening to her profile THROUGH the Sonos app and when I click play inside my Spotify app on a different device while logged in under a DIFFERENT profile, it still stops playback on the Sonos app. This is unacceptable, how do we fix it?

Update: so it looks like Spotify is unable to distinguish between the two spotify profiles that we setup inside the Sonos app. I logged out of my personal profile inside my spotify app and logged in as one of the other family members in my plan that isn't connected to Sonos and it did not trigger the error while my wife was still listening in Sonos under her profile. So it appears Spotify needs to improve the way they track profiles inside the Sonos app.

I have the exact same issue, did you find a solution?

Suggested posts