Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sony 2015 receivers dropped Spotify Connect

Solved!

Sony 2015 receivers dropped Spotify Connect

Sony just confirmed to me that their 2015 line-up of receivers, do not support Spotify Connect, even while all specification sheets do mention it being supported. Too bad I already bought myself a STR-DN1060.

So the only option I now have is Google Cast. But that will not be supported by Spotify because of Spotify Connect. How stupid is that?

55 Replies

Great to hear. Mine was set to STR-DN1060 automatically, I assume they changed it recently...

Although, I just ran into the 50sec disconnection bug mentioned by Rizzer, even though I'm wired up.

Happened when I was controlling Spotify Connect from my phone, when the phone screen went off.

Then the receiver started saying it wasn't connected to internet anymore (Software updates failed to update, Connection status saying that Internet is not reachable). Forcing a new wired configuration and asking to retry a few times solved this.

And then Spotify Connect was working again...

So, the receiver also has big problems holding an Internet connection up, even though nothing changes.

Same problem here, network connection lost after about 1 minute. I have a wired connection which is fine. Hope to see a fix soon.

I am also having issues with the Dn STR-1060 and Spotify connect, regardless of wifi or ethernet it drops connection in under a minute or the audio skips to the point it's worthless.

This isn't just happening occasionally either. I can count on one hand the amount of times it has worked properly. I have given up and resigned to using the PS4 for Spotify, but that means I need to turn the TV on and the PS4 when all I need is the receiver. Not sure if this is a Sony issue or a Spotify issue but I hope it gets sorted soon.

I'm also experience the same problem. Connection drops randomly. Like today; i have to press the "play" button when the music stops playing. I repeated that several times till i got tired of it. An hour later i pressed the "play" button again and the music plays for at least 15 minutes now.

This morning i didn't have any problems at all. I can' t get to the root cause this way...

Called Sony and opened a ticket with them because i think the problem is in the networking area of the receiver. That might also explain the problems with connecting to the Songpal app sometimes.

My DN-STR 850 worked perfectly for a couple of months; it would play for hours without a hiccup.  A few days ago it would disconnect after after a few minutes.  Now it disconnects after 1 minute or less.  The receiver window indicates that it is switching from my phone to "BLUETOOTH", even though I'm not transmitting in Bluetooth.  The receiver is hard-wired to my modem.

This is very frustrating.  jim dougherty jdoughertydc-at-yahoo.

Also have this issue, although in my case it's very consistent. Stream stops every time after 1-2 minutes. Doesn't matter whether I use an Android of IOS device. Also wrote a complaint to Sony and hope to see it solved soon.

Anyone also having issue with Chromecast? streaming via Chromecast seem to work only half of the times. Sometimes I can connect a device, but the stream wont start (e.g. Tunein radio). In most cases it's not possible to make a connection at all.

This seem to be a common problem at the moment, several people experience problems with Spotify Connect dropping out.

Both Denon, Marantz & Sony receivers.

Check this thread: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partners-Windows/Denon-AVR-X2100W-No-Spotify-Connect/td-...

The last message I got from Spotify is that they are working on solving the case.

What's a Spotify Rock Star

, and how do I become one?

That's good to know (I guess).

What I did notice is that when I checked the internet connection of the receiver, it indicated there was no internet connection (wired connection). However, last week I was able to update the software with the wired connection, so it worked fine at the time.

So I set up a WIFI connection and now Spotify just seem to work fine now.

Hi, pvdb

Great that it works. 🙂

For more then a day Spotify Connect doesn't work for our STR-DN860, while it was working flawlessy.

We can cast Tunein, so this means the internet connection is working. Are more people still having this issue? I was thinking it had to do with the problems Denon users where having, but now i'm not sure anymore...

Yeah, unfortunately I was too quick to post this message. Yesterday, I had the same issue again several times...

I just got the following message on Twitter from Spotify support:

"We have some great news! It should all be fixed now. You might have to try a quick reinstall to smooth everything out 🙂 Let us know if you have any trouble"

@SpotifyCares on Twitter.

It works again 😀... But I had to remove all the personal settings to make it work again. 

What exactly have you done to make it work? Factory reset the receiver?

In the system options, select 'initialize personal information'. It's no hard reset fortunately , because the settings of the speakers are still there afterwards. 

Still no luck here. Music randomly stops after 40-60 seconds. 

We didn't have any problems anymore. However, is your receiver wired or are
you using wifi? Our receiver is wired

It's a wired connection. I added a Wireshark screenshot which show there aren't any network technical issues. Seems to me that the receiver stops receiving packets OR the spotify servers stop sending. But i think the issue is in the sony receiver because the networking part of the receiver doesn't feel very stable. For instance, sometimes it takes al lot of time for the receiver to become available as spotify connect device. This can take up to 15 minutes.

spot_error.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

There might then be a problem with your receiver, I always get a connection
within 2 a 3 seconds.

I don't know if you have a android device, but if you do, does tunein
google casting work?

And we don't have the 1080, but the 860. But I presume this should not be a
difference.

Agree with Nevyn72.

I have the 1060 and after the fix (and a factory reset) I haven't had this issue anymore.

I can now even use it via a wired connection.

setting up the connection (via the receiver) for spotify or chromecast sometimes seems to be slow, but never lasts longer than a minute or so.

Have you already tried a factory reset?

Suggested posts