Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spacebar not working as a space in web player search

Solved!

Spacebar not working as a space in web player search

I'm trying to type a space when searching for an artist in the web player search and the spacebar is only playing/pausing the music.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey all!

It's not supposed to work like that! I mean, you can actually pause/play the song with spacebar, but only if you've previously clicked on the controls bar.

Easiest fix - Ctrl + F5: hard-refresh of the webpage.

I suggest wiping your browser's cookies and cache and then restarting the browser. Try incognito (or 'restarting with addons disabled' in Firefox - under Help), and if it works normally like that, it should now be working in normal session as well.

I ran into that issue as well just earlier.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Oh, I thought this was just me since my keyboard is kind of gimpy sometimes! Yeah, this is really irritating.

It worked fine a couple hours ago and then all of a sudden it wont.  

I am having the same issue. Glad to know it's not just me.

Same issue here.

Same here! Please fix this! 

Same problem for me. Tried logging out and then back in and have restarted Chrome. Nothing seems to be working.

Alas, same issue in Firefox. Not that it really matters, I haven't had playback for the last couple days anyway! (Both on Mac and PC)

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. I hope whomever made the decision to do this, (not the poor web developer who had to implement it), gets reprimanded. This is super unprofressional and amateurish. I can't help but feel some UI designer somewhere needs to reconnect with the real world. 

Working now

Marked as solution

Hey all!

It's not supposed to work like that! I mean, you can actually pause/play the song with spacebar, but only if you've previously clicked on the controls bar.

Easiest fix - Ctrl + F5: hard-refresh of the webpage.

I suggest wiping your browser's cookies and cache and then restarting the browser. Try incognito (or 'restarting with addons disabled' in Firefox - under Help), and if it works normally like that, it should now be working in normal session as well.

I ran into that issue as well just earlier.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I hard refreshed (Ctrl+Shift+R) the browser tab containing the Spotify web player and then the space bar started working in the web player's search bar again. Thankfully restarting the browser, clearing the cookies, and/or disabling add-ons/extensions was not necessary.

I'm using the latest version of Chrome, version 63.

It's working now, thank you!

Suggested posts