Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working on multiple 3rd party devices

Recently there have been numerous reports that Spotify Connect is not working on 3rd party devices like wireless smart speakers, multiroom speakers, sound systems and receivers. 

It's either possible to connect to the speaker using the Spotify Connect picker, but songs cannot be played and playback cannot be controlled, or the speakers appear grayed out and cannot connect at all.

Hello everyone,

We are aware that this issue has been going on for quite some time now. Thanks to your reports and immense help in troubleshooting this, we are happy to say that this should now be fixed. The information provided from members of the community greatly helped the tech teams from Spotify. They worked together with different speaker manufacturers over the last few months in order to pinpoint what was causing this connection issue and were able to sort it out.

If you're still having issues playing music on your sound systems via Spotify Connect, we recommend the following:

• Check if there are any firmware updates available for your speaker and install them.
  • Reboot your router and re-connect all devices to the network.
  • Alter your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if the issue comes back! We'll do our best to get on it right away, so that you can enjoy your music.

Comments
bendejo_dk

We'll that's it.

I've reset my router, my Google Nest Wifi, My Samsung M7, my bicycle, the neighbour's dog ... nothing worked.

Luckily for Spotify I'm more inclined to ditch my Samsung speaker than ditching Spotify.

When the connection between Spotify and Samsung M7-speaker worked, it was a real hassle to adjust the volume. Always too loud or too low, so maybe this is just a blessing in disguise.

Now I'll buy a Google Nest Audio and shout after it, if it doesn't work.

bermuda83

Hi all,

new firmware is available... but spotify connect still not working 😞

Link for science : https://www.sony.fr/electronics/support/home-video-blu-ray-disc-players-recorders/ubp-x800/software/...

Eni

Hey there @astp44

Thanks for your reply. 

Could you disconnect your speakers > restart the router > connect the speakers again to see if that makes the difference?

If the issue persists, would you mind checking if the same happens using a different internet connection? 

Keep us posted.

astp44

No difference

Spuddy_Spud

Yup, same for me. I've been using it with no problems for weeks now after the DNS trick. I still think it's a bit rubbish that we have to go through that rigmarole though. And for that matter, I never used to have to use custom DNS settings... So what changed?

peterkuiper

I got the following reply from Customer Support Sony Netherlands (translated into English):

"Unfortunately we have to inform you that the developer of the App has decided to end Spotify at [this device]. As the manufacturer we don't have any influence on this. We have to refer to the developer of the app, in this case Spotify" 

We are being sent from pillar to post...

Alex, can you respond on this? You are saying that the manufacturer is responsible for the app, and the manufacturer (Sony) is saying that Spotify is the developer for the app on their device and they have no influence on it. Can you contact Sony and sort this out?

cwsdk

Plan

Premium

Country

Norway

Devices

iPhone and Philips Multiroom speaker SW700M/12

Operating System

iOS 15.5

My Question or Issue

Until recently I've been playing songs from Spotify on my Philips speaker through Spotify Connect. Unfortunately this function is no longer working. I am still able to connect to the speaker on my phone, but when I press play the song pauses right away. I do not have the same problem when connecting to other speakers/headphones.

I've tried to reset the speaker, my phone and the router, but nothing seems to solve the problem.

Perhaps it is a bug in one of Spotify's recent updates?

haraldte

Hello

I am sorry to communicate that I do not have any results either.

All devices have updated firmware/software. The Spotify version on my Tiny Audio M7+ speaker side is: release-esdk-1.20.0-v1.20.0-g594175d4

I have tried the recommendations:

• When I log into my account, I cannot see any apps with access to the Spotify account, so there is nothing to remove.
  • I am not using VPN.
  • I have restarted the router and all devices.
  • I have tried to sign out everywhere and login again.
  • I have tried to connect the devices to a different network and router - with exactly the same problem.

Last week everything worked well Monay-Friday, but in the weekend and up until now the problem with Spotify Connect persists: I can connect and the song name shows up in the device display, but when I hit the play button it immediately pauses.

If there is a fix for this problem, I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

haraldte

Update: Everything is working again for me now. Thank you.

I think the problem I experienced may have been related to this issue:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Downtime-8th-Jun-2022-Issues-with-playback-on-extern...

peterkuiper

Vitryarno, good for you that you solved your issue, but our issue is still not solved. Can you unmark this issue as being solved?