Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect not working on multiple 3rd party devices

Recently there have been numerous reports that Spotify Connect is not working on 3rd party devices like wireless smart speakers, multiroom speakers, sound systems and receivers. 

It's either possible to connect to the speaker using the Spotify Connect picker, but songs cannot be played and playback cannot be controlled, or the speakers appear grayed out and cannot connect at all.

Hello everyone,

We are aware that this issue has been going on for quite some time now. Thanks to your reports and immense help in troubleshooting this, we are happy to say that this should now be fixed. The information provided from members of the community greatly helped the tech teams from Spotify. They worked together with different speaker manufacturers over the last few months in order to pinpoint what was causing this connection issue and were able to sort it out.

If you're still having issues playing music on your sound systems via Spotify Connect, we recommend the following:

• Check if there are any firmware updates available for your speaker and install them.
  • Reboot your router and re-connect all devices to the network.
  • Alter your router's DNS to 8.8.8.8.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if the issue comes back! We'll do our best to get on it right away, so that you can enjoy your music.

Comments
Mimscki

That's not the case.

Spotify have to fix it, not Sony.

To give you some rationale, it was working until Spotify changed things. They broke it, they can (and should) fix it. 

Dian

Hey @zpam and @tmorken,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

It seems you both experience the same issue on the same device brand/model. This leads me to believe it is a device related issue and most probably an actual incompatibility between Spotify and the device.

As the Spotify app and the device's firmware are updated separately, it may be so, that the updates are currently out of phase. We therefore ask you to also contact the manufacturer of the external speaker, so you can get more insight on why this issue may be occurring.

In the meantime you can check if the speaker is working via a Bluetooth connection to a mobile device.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

astp44

It seems like we all are from Norway. doesn't that sound a little bit suspicious?

Can there be a country specific issue?

A friend of mine with another system than me also have the same issue

haraldte

Hello again

As I wrote above, my Tiny Audio M7+ worked perfectly last Wednesday afternoon. However the problem came back in the weekend and lasted until this morning. Now (14 June 2022 at 4 pm CET) everything is working well again.

Due to the instability of Spotify Connect, I contacted the distributor here in Norway (TT Micro AS). They were aware of the problem and also experienced the problem themselves, but had not yet determined whether the problem is with the unit or a Spotify problem. I was informed that the producer in Hong Kong does not experience this problem with the unit there.

I have also registered that everyone in this discussion reside in Norway, but do not know if that is of significance.

Zimoniser

Another Norwegian user here, but this is related to an Onkyo TX-NR636 surround reciever. Just wrote a ticket to onkyo before I noticed this topic. So playing in the Android App, on my new laptop and the old laptop Spotify plays just fine, even if I use may phone and use "Spotify connect" to my new laptop I get music playing. So the problem is just when trying to Spotify connect to the Onkyo reciever and the problem is from all three devices. I work with technical support for over 25 years and with electronics and IT degree/experience so I think I have done what I can do at the time being. I think the problems lays at Spotify side and the API they are using for third party devices and perhaps a "ban" on Norwegian ISP/IP adresses. PS, at home I use Altibox as ISP. 

Copy of support ticket with info of the error and what I have tried, hopefully not forgotten to write down anything.

---

My Onkyo TX-NR636B have suddenly stopped playing music from Spotify connect. For example from my Android Samsung S10+ phone I use connect to the TX-NR636 and it connects okay, but it will not play any music. It just stalls on the Onkyo reciever, but on the phone it plays and seconds goes on as it should. This problem is also occuring when I try to use spotify connect from another device, tried 2 laptops one with Win 11 and one with Win 10. Same symptoms from all devices. When this have happened before it usually fixes the problem with shutdown of the onkyo, disconnect powercable from outlet for a few minutes and then turn back on. This does not solve the issue, what i have tried:

- Shutdown Onkyo and disconnect power for a few minutes, even over 24hours been powerless. Tried this many times with different time between power cable out and on again.

- On my Android phone cleared data and also uninstall and reinstall app.

- Rebooted router and switches.

- Using wired network, and network test on Onkyo gives no fault. Tried to set manual IP setup and another DNS server.

- Latest firmware is installed on Onkyo, at least Onkyo say no newer firmware when checking from the reciever.

- Win11 computer is new, problem startet before I got it in house.

- Tried to factory reset the Onkyo with holding cbl/sat button and then pressing and holding power switch, getting clear and then after a few second it power off and resets. Tried factory reset 3 times, one time skipped initial setup to se if this helps.

- The recievers plays Bluray , CD's and also TV from the TV decoder etc just fine.

So symptoms is when using Spotify connect it does connect, but does not play any music. If I play on my phone a track for 1min 14 sec and then use connect to the TX-NR636 it still goes on second by second on my phone, no audio on the phone but on recievers it stalls at 1min 14 or 1-2seconds later.

This error is bugging me out, do you have any tips to solve this issue? Most tips that I have found on google I have tried without success.

Partiauus1158

In my case, Amazon Echo, the solution for me was as following

1.  Removed the Echo from the list of Spotify Connect.

2.  Just said "Alexa play music on Spotify" to the Echo.

3.  Echo started playing music on Spotify.

then the Echo was reconnected to Spotify and started working correctly.

Dian

Hey @Zimoniser,

Thanks for the extensive description and the many troubleshooting steps you've tried.

The thing is, that the mobile app and the desktop app differ a lot in how they're built. This explains why the mobile app finds the receiver while the desktop app doesn't. And this is also why sometimes issues with Connect and external receivers occur.

On this note, have you tried using the web player?

You also mentioned changing the DNS configuration of the receiver, could you post the numbers?

Have you though of the firewall configurations on the desktop device? Just a wild guess.

Cheers!

andvib

Bumping. Seems there are other brands also affected by this Spotify-side change, fex Sony surround-receivers. Extra annoying that the speakers are working as normal, fex the TuneIn part of Multiroom-app. Is Tidal still working on these speakers? No more Samsung-anything for me..

Henrvin

Hi 
I’m also in Norway and my IPS I Altibox. 
my onkyo tx-nr616 connects but no sound but my tX-rz730 works fine. 

I have a friend that is using a different system and has same problem, he also has Altibox

Zimoniser

If I try to use phone and select connect to both computers, or if I at a computer tries to connect to phone or the other computer I get to listen to music. But if I on either phone/PC1/PC2 connects to the Onkyo receiver it connects but does not play any music. So the only problem is on the Onkyo, not the other devices. This is also what makes i strange and I think there is no firewall in router og computer/phone issue, but rather a problem at the Spotify server side. And I have not changes any in my home network, not router replacement or update firmware, no large updates in antivirus/firewall programs on my computers either. 

DNS, on the Onkyo tried DHCP and also static IP with DNS set to the IP of my router for routers DNS, but also tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for google. No solution by switching DNS server.

Not tried using web-version yet and can test it tomorrow, but I du not think that this will work as both 2 computers with Spotify program installed and also an Android phone will not play on the Onkyo. Just connects, track name shows up but then stalls at 1 sec. Even if I "fast forward" to the middle of the song the second is still at 1 sec. If I switch track I get the new trackname and stalls at 1 sec. If I play for 30 second local on my phone, then connect the Onkyo shows connected "trackname" and stalls at 30 secs. Not I have a tv connected to the Onkyo so I can watch what happens.