Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect no longer working with Sonos

Spotify Connect no longer working with Sonos

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device, OS

Reproducible on: Google Pixel 4 w/ Android 11, Windows 10 desktop, new 2019 Macbook Pro with macOS 10.15. All same behavior

My Question or Issue

As of a couple days ago I can no longer connect to my Sonos devices via Spotify Connect from within the Spotify app across all 3 devices that I've tried. However, I'm still able to browse Spotify, play songs, etc. from within the Sonos app with no problem.

It seems specifically broken when trying to use Spotify Connect from a Spotify app to Sonos. It hangs on "Connecting" forever. Has there been some regression?

Thank you!

39 Replies

Exact same thing happening to me. Sometimes I can’t even start Spotify directly in Sonos. All other streaming services are fine. 

1. I’ve a simular problem, i can’t select the sonos speakers via Spotify app (wifi). Only via Airplay. 

When i use the Sonos App i can select Spotify numbers etc. and it will work, so there seems to be a problem in the Spotify app.

Problem occurs on both iPhone Xs and iPad Pro with iOS 14 (my son experiences the same problem in iOS 13.x), both with access granted to the wifi network and access granted the local network in settings.

Same! Sometimes Sonos will start to play the last thing I was playing on the respective speaker. Super weird. I’ve given up and I’m just using airplay for now.

Hi, I had the same problem. I solved it when I turned on "Device broadcast Status" in the Spotify app settings. It took about 5 minutes to appear back in Spotify Connect.

Solved by Spotify with the recent update of their app.

Hi,
If you have two Wifi networks configured in your router like I have where I usually use the 5GHz based network on all my devices then you will not be able to use connect with Spotify connect to your sonos speakers as they are on 2.4GHz networks.

I am not sure why this is since the router does in deed route network traffic between the two Wifi networks usually, but in this case there is a problem.

I have not tested with another router so far so it might be related to this specific router that came with my cable tv/ broadband subscription.

The brand is Compal model CH7486e

If I restart the router then it will work with Spotify connect for a while and then stop working. But now when I stay on the same 2.4GHz network with the device running Spotify app it does work. I tried so far from my Samsung S20+ and two Macbook Pro computers.

Cheers!

I've encountered the same problem. I use Spotify on my Samsung QLED TV, Sonos One, iPhone 11 and two Mac book Pros. Until recently, I've been able to toggle between these pretty seamlessly via the 'Devices" menu. However, as of two days ago, I can no longer connect to the Sonos or TV, only the Mac devices.

I've tried restarting the router, updating the firmware on the Sonos, changing all Wifi to the 2.4 Ghz channel, updating the Spotify app on my Mac devices, etc. Nothing seems to work.

As a follow up to my original post above, I can play other profiles from the Premium account on the TV, but not my own for some reason.

I'm thinking it may be something related to playing my phone through the car speakers via Bluetooth that messes up the connection to non-Mac devices.

This is starting to get annoying. I use Spotify the most at home on my Sonos and TV, so this is not a good user experience.

Any advice out there?

Thanks in advance!

Hey @KaH,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Playing your phone via the car Bluetooth speakers shouldn't have an impact on the connectivity to other devices. Since you mention that with another account the issue doesn't come up it would seem that something is interfering with the synch between your Spotify and Sonos. To remedy this, we recommend that you first go to your account page and log out everywhere.

Afterwards you should unlink your Spotify account from the Sonos app, reinstall it and link it anew. This page can help with these steps.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail,

Thanks for the suggestion. I logged out and unlinked from all devices. Unfortunately, the Sonos and Samsung TV still won't connect. Are there any other troubleshooting protocols you or anyone else may know of?

Hey @KaH,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page -  in your previous post you mentioned that when you tried it with a different Spotify account, both Sonos and your Samsung TV we accessible via Connect, is that right? Also, could you try connecting all your devices to a different internet network, such as a mobile hotspot and see if that makes a difference. It's also a good idea to check for any firmware updates for your speaker and TV.

Keep us posted, we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail,

Everything now seems to be running normally and I can stream Spotify across all devices again. However, I don't know if this has anything to do with the troubleshooting I did, as nothing changed after the first 24 hours. Maybe there's some sort of system cache that was cleared at some point?

Thanks for your help on this!

Best,

Keith

Hi again @KaH

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

We're happy to know that things are now working as usual.

If you need us again, you know where to find us.

Have a lovely day 🙂

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

This has recently become an issue for me as of yesterday afternoon!

I've been using Spotify connect for years with no issue. I'm a premium user in Ontario, Canada, trying to connect using iPhone 8 and MacBook Air running OS Sierra 10. 12. 6

As of yesterday, my Sonos speaker is 'greyed out' on Spotify connect, and says 'can't play this right now'

I am befuddled because it was working fine until yesterday afternoon. I have tried:

Rebooting my router

Rebooting the speaker

Updated to newest version of Spotify/Sonos S2 app/iOS on iPhone 8

Deleted then re-downloaded Spotify and Sonos controller apps

Signed out of Spotify on all devices, signed back in, issue persists. 

I can connect to Spotify through the Sonos app, and can play music to my Sonos with no issue. For some reason Spotify Connect has stopped working. I only have one Spotify account, and have only ever had one Spotify account. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty frustrated and sad because I am very much a Spotify user, and much prefer playing music/podcasts through Spotify, rather than the Sonos controller apps. 

Ellen 

Update: I rebooted my MacBook Air and my Spotify Connect was working for about two minutes! Then I restarted my iPhone 8, and I've lost Spotify connect again on both devices.  

My Bell Home Hub says Sonos and my phone are on the same Wifi. I have no idea what else to try. 

Hey there @ed8888,

Thank you for your post in this thread and for the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

Can you confirm if you followed these steps when you reinstalled the app? This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

It would also be great if you can log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persist?

Another useful step to do is to try with another internet connection if it's possible.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi,

I have the exact same issues since yesterday as well. Deleted the Spotify app and unplugged everything, exactly as stated. For some reason all of a sudden since yesterday afternoon, Spotify won't play through my Sonos wireless speakers. Darker grey and " Can't play this right now'. I  have tried seperating all Sonos speakers as they were grouped together but even as single speakers i get the same messages.

Hi there @Strumpelina,

Thanks for posting on this thread and welcome to the Community.

Just to confirm, did you make sure to follow the specific steps in this guide to run a clean reinstall of the app?

Also, try to unlink your Spotify and Sonos accounts, restart your router by unplugging it from power for a few seconds, and link them again by following the steps in this article.

If none of these do the trick, could you let us know the make, model and OS version of the device where you're trying to connect from, and if it happens with any other devices?

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey @Jeremy

Thanks for your reply. I was able to use Spotify Connect for a few hours Friday. I couldn't connect Saturday morning, and went through the clean re-install steps (thank you for this!). I was able to use Spotify Connect all of yesterday. I wanted to see if there were any issues this morning. 

I was able to connect through my iPhone 8 for most of today.  I just checked now (8:15pm EST), and the greyed out 'can't play this right now' has returned. I checked to see if I could connect through the desktop app to Sonos and I was successful. I then disconnect from the desktop app, re-opened the iPhone app and could connect through my phone. 

Seems intermittent? Maybe? I'll try to use a different wifi and speaker (it's not a Sonos) at my gym tomorrow. Unfortunately I don't have access to a friend/family Spotify account. 

Ellen

Hey @ed8888,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

You can try creating a free account for test purposes to check this.

Let us know how it goes when you connect to the other speaker.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts