Spotify Connect plays blocked artists

Plan

Premium

Country

Switzerland

Device

Played on Denon HEOS Soundbar via Xiaomi Mi 9 SE

My Question or Issue

When playing a playlist which includes songs of blocked artists or songs you wished to "don't play", the Spotify App doesn't play these songs, which is great. However, when listening on a Wifi-Speaker (HEOS Soundbar in my case) via Spotify Connect, the blocked songs or blocked artists will still be played.

To reproduce this issue, create a playlist with two songs from different artists, block one of the artists and play the playlist on repeat.

In addition to the Denon device I also tested this with a Samsung Multiroom speaker and the behaviour is the same.

The option to block songs/artists is one of the greatest addition to Spotify within the last few years and it would be nice if it worked also when listening on a Wifi speaker.

// Edit

I just found the other thread with the answer that "don't play" is device and playlist specific. Still, if I block the whole artist (and not just a song in a playlist) in the Android App, this gets respected on the Desktop App too, so I think at least this particular feature is synced and should also work when using Connect.

2 Replies

Hey @tschooli,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

You're right that the "don't play this" feature is playlist and device specific. The way Connect works is that it uses one device as a remote, but another is used for streaming and playback. Because of this blocking content isn't available with Connect.  Other users have however went ahead and posted this idea that requests that this feature works account wide. You can +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already. We'll keep you updated on any updates on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

Hope this is helpful but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any further questions!

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi Mihail,

Thanks for your reply and the link to the idea. Let's hope for the best 😉

May I ask, what was the reason for making this feature device specific? If I understood this right, a Wifi speaker is a device with its own blocklist? Since you don't have a GUI on a speaker, you can't really block anything there, which makes your nice feature useless as soon as you use Spotify Connect...

But I've seen in the idea that you're still considering a "fix" and I really hope this will soon work as expected. Thanks for your hard work.

Cheers,

Jo

Suggested posts