Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Premium on Sonos in an unsupported country

Solved!

Spotify Premium on Sonos in an unsupported country

Hi everyone,

I have a Premium Spotify from Australia (supported) and now live in Canada (unsupported).

Since I have a Premium account I can use the Spotify software anywhere in the world, and that's awesome.

I just bought Sonos speaker and want to play Spotify on them. But Spotify isn't offered in the list of services!!!!.... I guess that's becasue I'm in Canada. Either an IP conflict of simply not listed because I registered Sonos to an address in Canada.

Since I have a Premium membership I should get access to Spotify through Sonos too! Is there a way around this or will I need to subscribe to anothewr music service?

Thanks

Thierry

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

so just to wrap this up, all is took was changing my registration address to the country of where subscribed to Spotify from.

That was easy!

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hi. I'm afraid that spotify will only work on Sonos in a country where the service it is available. The only way around this would be to connect through a proxy server.

I'll see if changing my rgistration address with Sonos would change anything.

If not I guess I'll have not choice but pay for a VPN.

Man all this licensing nonsense if a real pay in the neck. I'm annoyed that Sonos shows Spotify as a Music service, even on their canadian page. It's really misleading.

Marked as solution

so just to wrap this up, all is took was changing my registration address to the country of where subscribed to Spotify from.

That was easy!

That's good to know. Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

I have the same issue,,,may i know when u said change your registration, u mean in sonos web site?

I dont see any relationship between sonos web account and the sonos controller in my mac...eveytime when i added a component, it automatically register it where i do not have to chance to register manually...

I just went to my acount on the sonos website and updated my address detail to a country where australia is supported. That did the trick for me and Spotify appeared in the Sonos App after that.

You can maybe do the address change withing the Sonos App, not too sure about that.

Thanks!  I managed to factory resetted my AMP and controller and get it registered!

I am having a similar problem, and pulling my hair out.  I have a Sonos system set up in my house, and decided to try out Spotify.  With a regular account, it played fine on my Sonos system.  Once I upgraded to try out a premium account, my Sonos controller would not properly register my new account information.  I am located in the Philippines, and my Sonos registration is also listed as the Philippines (to prevent IP conflict).  The URL accepts my Spotify account info and password and tells me it is properly connected.  When I go back to the controller software (either on my PC or on my phone), it tells me there was a connection error.  

Please help!!  Anyone!  I love using Spotify in the car and such, but want access to my account through Sonos.  

@PapsInManila - I would suggest getting in touch with Sonos support, they have far more diagnostics they can run on your system to find the issue.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I have already done that and Sonos claims that Spotify does not support 3rd party apps in the Philippines.  But that does not make a lot of sense to me when they offer premium subscriptions in the country.  I am trying to get some feedback from Spotify as well, but nothing yet.  It would natural for Sonos and Spotify to point the finger at the other, which is why I am reaching out to this community for help.  

Have you tried the suggestions in the earlier post regarding changing your country?

Update your Sonos registration temporarily and then do an update check. Even if it says there are no updates, you will find the service in your setup screen. Once you have activated your account inside Sonos, you can move your location back and it will continue to work.

Thanks for offering ideas, much appreciated.  My Sonos registration was originally in the US, but the Spotify premium account is registered in the Philippines.  Sonos told me to make sure the countries and IP addresses on the devices matched, so I switched my Sonos registration to the Philippines.  Still no change.  Pretty sure I can't change the country of my Spotify account.

Not sure why Spotify would offer premium accounts in other countries like the Philippines and not support these things.

Am also base in the Philippines and have recently encountered the same issue. I have had Sonos for 4 years and was using a US Spotify account with it with no issues until earlier this month. I could view all the songs and add to queue but it just wouldn't play and would get a conneciton lost error after 10-16 seconds. Very frustrating considering it used to work perfectly.

Sonos told me the same thing. That Spotify through Sonos is not officially supported in the Philippines. He said I could try tweaking the DNS setting to see if it is able to bypass the geo location, haven't tried it yet though since I assume my DNS should be fine considering I use Unotelly that already points to the US.

Do you use a bridge? Other option to troubleshoot is plugging your sonos directly to a LAN to see if that helps. I'll also let you know in case I can get it to work.

Is someone from Spotify already working on this with Sonos? Still can't use Spotify with Sonos at the moment. Would appreciate an update. When I logged this issue with Spotifysupport, they pointed me to this thread and that they would update it:

SpotifyCares SpotifyCares
@SpotifyCares

This is something we're aware of atm. Stay updated here:community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-โ€ฆ /C
10:19 AM - 15 Jul 14

Hi Joe or anyone who can help.  

I am based in Vietnam and I have spotify premium but cannot play it.

I am trying to follow the advise,  but I don't see how to re-register to get the Spotify to play. Can some please advise with specific steps?

Thank you so much!

Jan

Jan@JanMirkin.com

Changing de address to a supported country really works !!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

Suggested posts