Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Web Player not playing anything

Solved!

Spotify Web Player not playing anything

I've been playing music all day through the web player on my Macbook Pro, when all of a sudden (literally after finishing a song) it forgets how to actually play music. As far as I can tell, all functionality remains, apart from playing music - when I click 'play' on something, it appears in the "Recently Played" list, and a 'play' icon appears next to the song I clicked, but nothing else happens. Have tried with countless different songs, nothing works. There was no change to any settings anywhere, and no change to devices being used (I was using my PS4 as well at the time, but didn't change anything on there and like I said, it was working perfectly for hours before this.)

I've just spent hours looking through countless forum posts with similar issues but nothing has fixed my problem, from clearing cache and cookies, resetting all devices, and disabling/enabling Flash, to deleting devices and re-adding. The web player CAN still control the music on my phone and PS4, but this is no good for me when I want to just use the speakers I have plugged into my aux input. It's as if the web player has forgotten that my laptop has the ability to produce sound.

Someone please help.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was able to fix this issue.  I downloaded the Spotify App, installed it and logged in and was able to play a track as expected.  I closed the app and re-launched the web player and it worked again.  Odd issue but glad I resolved it.  

Hope this helps others in future.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

I'm having the same issue, both chrome and firefox not playing anything all of the sudden.

Ok...as soon as I posted this, I tried logging out and logging back in to the web player (for the 10th time) and it now works again. I'm not even happy that the functionality has been restored because it seemed like such a random occurence that successfully wasted a few hours of my life trying to get it back. So I'd like an explanation from a dev in case this happens again...

Nvm fixed

multiple reloads and logouts seem to fix it 😛

same issue here...web player is doing everything except playing!

And it's broken again, seems like a fun bug 😉

yep not working again...

Not working, neither my wife's and my daugther's web player, tried firefox, chrome, opera, safari none of them.

I want an official response for the problem, Spotify should had add a system's Status... then we know that are in some kind of maintenance or down.

Marked as solution

I was able to fix this issue.  I downloaded the Spotify App, installed it and logged in and was able to play a track as expected.  I closed the app and re-launched the web player and it worked again.  Odd issue but glad I resolved it.  

Mine is also not working. Unfortunately I cannot download the app on my work computer. I only have the option to use the Web Player. Does anyone know a fix for this?? Long time Spotify Premium subscriber here.

I wasn't able to get it working without install.   Do you have a computer at home or a friend who has a computer?   When I downloaded it on one computer all the others were fixed so no need to install on your work computer. 

@brooksaar wrote:

thx. this worked. it seems spotify has a problem swapping between where its being played so it just stays on where you last played it. have to change the location in the bottom right corner (the computer icon) and choose Chrome web

same here. All workarounds given in this thread (downloading and using spotify app, loggin out/in, etc...) don't work.

From this post I can see that people are experiencing this problem for months now. Fix it spotify, or you're losing me as a customer!!!

Suggested posts