Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC App

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify will operate as normal, allowing me to see all playlists, songs, podcasts, searching with results as expected, showing friend's activity with updates. However it will not play ANY media. Upon pressing play all songs give an error "Spotify can't play this song right now..etc.etc"
I have found other instances of people having this issue here and in other forums and have tried all kinds of troubleshooting to no avail.
It is worth noting using the web players on this PC has Spotify work as expected, however it is inconvenient and I prefer to use the app. also my Spotify App works as expected on my phone when using on the same network as the PC.

• I have Logged out, restarted , and logged back in
  • I have completely clean reinstall, removing all traces of Spotify from the PC, reinstalled both as a Windows Store app, as well as the download from the website. Same issue repeats.
  • I have changed audio quality, crossfade, hardware acceleration. 
  • I have attempted to edit my `drivers/etc/host` file however it was in default form with no hosts added.
  • I have reset my network, troubleshooted my network
  • I have made sure Spotify is a program allowed to pass through my firewall. 

Please help, this has been an issue for over a week and I am wondering 

6 Replies

Hi there @BryanBoru,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. Really good start with the troubleshooting!

In this case we suggest that you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

If that doesn't do the trick, can you have someone log in with their account on your device - such as a friend or a family member to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello,
There are no entries mentioning spotify on the Hosts file, as I stated in my original post. I do not have any one who 's account I can try to use on my PC. 

Hey @BryanBoru,

Thanks for the reply.

In this case, create a free account for test purposes and check whether songs play through that one.

Keep us in the loop.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I did create an other free account, the issue persists. 

je télécharge ou écoute toujours normalement, et je l'envoie régulièrement via WhatsApp ns

Hi there @BryanBoru,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you try to perform a clean reinstall again but this time in Safe Mode

Also, check your firewall and antivirus software or apps to make sure Spotify is whitelisted or set as an exception.

On another note - if you're on a non-personal device or network (student laptop, student network, corporate laptop or corporate network), we recommend that you reach out to the administrator for help.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Suggested posts