Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify can't play this right now. - All songs.

Spotify can't play this right now. - All songs.

Plan

Premium

Country
UK

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro N (10.0.18362)

My Question or Issue

Hi. This doesn't always happen, and i am unable to pinpoint the variables that lead to it happening. Yesterday i was listening to music just fine, i shut down for the night, then this morning i have the following issue. This is a common occurrence and i'm unable to understand why it's fixed one day, and broken the next.

Sometimes when i boot my PC and open Spotify, it is completely unable to stream any songs at all. All songs can be searched for and located. All thumbnails and text load instantly without issue, including any new daily playlists. Browsing works 100% fine until you try and stream anything.

I am shown errors such as: "Spotify can't play this right now. If you have the file on your computer you can import it." and also "This content is not available."

Playing .MP3 files stored locally works fine.

Using the same account, music plays fine on my laptop, iPhone and Amazon Echo. The issue appears to be localized to this desktop PC.

Things i have tried with unsuccessful results:

• Rebooting.
  • Run as administrator.
  • Log out / Log in.
  • Password reset.
  • Uninstall / Reinstall.
  • Enable / Disable proxy settings.
  • Disconnect Ethernet and use WiFi instead.
  • Add Windows Firewall rule to allow Spotify (Incoming & Outgoing).
  • Uninstall / Reinstall audio device driver with new one.
  • Disable / Enable different auto outputs (Control Panel > Sound > Playback).
  • Change bit rate of audio outputs.
  • Enable / Disable "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" with or without 'Give priority etc'.
  • Disable all audio enhancements.

Many thanks for the assistance.

Foxtrot.

ps. While writing all of this, it started working again. The only thing i've done any different in the past half-hour is play a single song from my phone.

Edit: I've rebooted and it's failing to play again. Tried switching between my phone and back again, this didn't work.

3 Replies

Hi there @FoxtrotKA60,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for sharing the troubleshooting you've done so far.

In this case we suggest that you remove all lines from your hosts file by following the steps bellow:

1. Open Notepad as an administrator (right-click - Open as Administrator)
  2. go to File - Open and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
  3. Choose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents" next to the File Name box. You'll see a handful of files. Pick hosts and click on Open
  4. When the file is open, you will see a block of text with # in front of each line and might see entries like 0.0.0.0 website.com127.0.0.1 website2.com
  5. Check for any entries with Spotify in the address. Examples may look like: 0.0.0.0 weblb-wg.gslb.spotify.com0.0.0.0
  6. If you do find any lines with Spotify, please remove them
  7. Save your changes and restart Spotify

Let us know how it goes.

Take care 🙂

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply.

I've cleared out my Hosts file. It was full of stuff, but nothing i deemed important.
After restarting there was no change in Spotify. I'm still unable to play anything.

If i could offer what may be another clue, Windows says i'm connected to my local network, but with 'No internet'.

This is blatantly false as I'm talking to you right now. I can surf, game, watch YouTube, etc.

I've not really noticed before, so i couldn't tell when it started saying that.

I'm connected via Ethernet, and my WiFi adapter is disabled via Control Panel.

Enabling/disabling either network adapter doesn't change Spotify.

Thanks again.

Hi @FoxtrotKA60,

Thank you for coming back with those details.

It seems like there's a connectivity issue if your network settings display the "No internet" message.

In this case, we suggest the network settings on your PC:

1. Open Windows settings.
  2. Go to Network and Internet and open the Status tab.
  3. Scroll down until you find Network Reset, click on it and follow the steps. 

Let us know how this goes!

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts