Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes my PS3

Solved!

Spotify crashes my PS3

So I just recently installed Spotify on my fat PS3, and it started up and I could log in fine. However if I'm in Spotify for more than 20 seconds or I start a song my PS3 just locks up, I can't connect to it with any other devices and I have to hold down the power button to shut it down, where it then also makes the frozen shutdown sound (three consecutive beeps.) 

Nothing I do seems to work, like shutting down all other Spotifies in the area, removing any discs from the PS3, etc. 

How can I make it work again? My PS3 is the only thing plugged into my sorround sound right now, and I'd really like to hear high quality again, but it just hard crashes every time. 

Edit by Per:

I've created a new ongoing issue. Please have a look and provide all relevant information here.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Well, it's not fixed but I can listen for a while before it crashes. Lately I can even listen for two hours or more. After a crash I reboot and start listening again. Not fixed, but better than before...

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I've created a new ongoing issue.

Please have a look and provide all relevant information here.

Community Ergo Sum

View solution in original post

42 Replies

I'm experiencing the same issue. Just installed the Spotify App, logged in, started a song and boom - it freezes. I have to reboot it using the physical button 😕

I have the same probleme 

I've a europeen/French slim PS3 :3 and desktop Mac app

I have the same problem on my ps3.

I have a similar problem on my PS3. The Spotify app freezes but after a variable number of songs (anything from a couple of songs to halfway through a long playlist). The app eventually freezes whether or not I have spotify open elsewhere. Nothing else helps than hitting the power button.

Yep, I'm having the same exact problem. No one seems to know of a fix yet, and it's really annoying.

Reposting from an older thread:

I also have had problems with the PS3 player dating back around 4 weeks now. The player on PS3 tends to freeze up all together, freezing the PS3 along with it and forcing me to shut off the console manually, after which point it goes through a disk check. No other apps do this on the machine and even streaming video from my video services play without issue or interruption. I suspect the latest version of the app for PS3 has some memory leak issues that should be reported to development team, but I also have other, older issues, that haven't been fixed as the app has periodically gone through updates.

Here's a list of problems I've had in order of how long I've had them:

1) The ever present sign-in problem. This one isn't related to memory and seems to result from the player somehow instead losing contact with the PSN authentication server. I'll be logged into PSN, go to use the app, and it will tell me it can't contact the playstation network, try again later. If I first log out of PSN manually, go back to the app and start again, the problem is resolved, only to recur later.

2) The app is very inconsistent about loading album art, sometimes doing so only after a long delay, sometimes never doing so.

3) Recently, the app has begun having problems iterating through my playlists. When I navigate to the "Your Music" tab and select the "More" option to expand the group containing my playlists, I will be able to tick through the first five or so and the cursor will refuse to go further. It properly loads all of the playlists on the screen, but the cursor will treat them as though they aren't there. I've tried backing out to the main screen, then re-navigating to the playlists folder and the problem persists unless and until I restart the app.

4) I've noticed the software has this same tendency, only capturing a limited selection of a larger group of objects to iterate through, when playing from a large playlist on shuffle. Admittedly, some of my larger playlists have hundreds of songs, but if shuffle play is selected, the software apparently builds a list of only 20-25 songs, mostly selected from the first 50 songs or so on the playlist, and will stop after that, or repeat the same list if the repeat option is selected.

5) The most recent problem to emerge, and the one which has at times rendered the app completely unusable, is that it will freeze the playstation 3 or 4 songs into a playlist, necessitating a hard reset of the whole machine. This will occur regardless of load on my local network, how long the machine has been on, and independent of any other factors I can identify. I have even gone so far as to delete the app and re-download and install it and the problem remains.

I'd like it very much if that last problem could be looked into, while the others are more minor gripes.

I am having the same problems as Vinminen. It's unfortunate as Spotify (and Netflix) are the only reasons I bought a PS3. Netflix works fine, but for the last month Spotify hasn't. It's so bad that I am now shopping for a different service.

I'm a premium user, BTW.

PlayStation support posted on their forum that it's a known issue and is being looked at. Hopefully they find a fix soon (or at least are ACTUALLY looking at it)

Experiencing the very same problems & very disappointed in the app because of theme. Please can someone give a solution?

Hi people.
I am still have problems with spotify, but today i can listen without crashes.

This just is a temporary solution, non official, but works to me now.

I wanna to share with you, but my english is very bad. Then it goes.

Follow the steps:

1-Open the spotify on your ps3 normally;
2- choose the music or playlist to listen;
3- Then play it;
4-Press the PS button one time until music is playing.
5- Leave the ps3 playing the music with the PS button's screen active.
6-when you want to control the player, press the PS button to back to the spotify screen. After this, press the PS button and leave it playing

doesn't seem to work for me, hope they fix this soon. I guess I better cancel my subscription for now...

I've been talking to Spotify support on twitter (super nice team btw) and they're working on a fix. Apparently their team had pushed an update yesterday but it didn't appear to fix the problem (for me at least). At least they're working on it. 🙂 

I've been talking to them for 3 weeks, they told me that they had made a fix as well. I uninstalled and resinstalled and thought it was working. It worked for about 40 minutes then froze the same way.

at least they're working on it. probably not a fun bug to fix.

Yeah, i'm glad they're obviously working on it. We had no luck with a fix, but they've narrowed it down a lot more.

Well at least I'm not alone. I'm having the exact same issues as everyone else. I guess I'll try reinstalling to see if whatever they've come up with so far will work. The main reason I signed back up to Spotify Premium is so I can hear it over my surround sound system via my PS3. It would be unfortunate if I weren't able to do that anymore. 

I don't think reinstalling is working for anyone. Just kinda have to wait for an update.

Why do you have to have a premium account to listen on your PS3?

I'm having the same problems as previously defined. Most annoying is that after 5-30 minutes usage the whole PS3 crashes and restore file system is required after boot.

Thinking of cancelling subscription because bad problems in ps3 app have been without a fix for months.

I'm having the same issue here. According to the playstation community both PlayStation and Spotify are working on a solution, but without success so far. http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Music-Support/spotify-freeze-issues/td-p/45433310...

Yeah I've been keeping up with the PS forums as well. (dustinbrutal there) as well as talking to support on Twitter. Hopefully we get an app update that fixes it soon 😞

Suggested posts