Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify interface streaming to Sonos?!

Solved!

Spotify interface streaming to Sonos?!

Reading the questions, and no answers, i'm afraid this will be quite difficult to answer.

I have a premium account. It runs Okay within Sonos. But the user interface sucks. I would like to use the Spotify (iPad) interface. Why isn't that still(!!!) not possible? Adressing Sonos by means of the dedicated Spotify-app. 

Jan van der Sluis,

Leiden, The netherlands 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Having a browse around the sonos site, it does appear sonos have an API. I'm guessing Spotify have no real incentive to make an application though, why would they bother when sonos have already got Spotify integration? 

If you would like to suggest this as an official idea to the Spotify team, you should go ahead and post it on the Ideas Exchange.

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

I am guessing this is because Sonos made their own Spotify application which they integrated into their core product using the Spotify API rather than using a dedicated Spotify application. 

Peter

Peter

Thnx.

But then there should be also an Sonos-api to be used by Spotify?!

Marked as solution

Having a browse around the sonos site, it does appear sonos have an API. I'm guessing Spotify have no real incentive to make an application though, why would they bother when sonos have already got Spotify integration? 

If you would like to suggest this as an official idea to the Spotify team, you should go ahead and post it on the Ideas Exchange.

Peter

Peter

Thanks! Helpfull suggestion. I'll do that. Who knows? ;))

Hi Jan,

I think it is not that simple.

If you really want to you can easily stream everything from any 'player app' on your iPhone or iPad (including Spotify's) to your Sonos system through AirPlay by using an AirPort Express and the line-in on a Play:5 or similar setup.

HOWEVER: the Sonos system is set-up (and this is what I like about it when comparing it to all those AirPlay speakers) to be able to play music accessing the source itself, therefore the app is NOT playing the music, it is 'just' a remote control. This limits the sources of music to what Sonos 'brings' to you, but (1) you can easily switch remote control, (2)  even better the music continues to play without adding all the sounds your iPhone / iPad makes when receiving messages or whatever, and without stopping the music when answering the phone.

It's all a matter of choice, but this was my main reason to buy a Sonos setup.

By the way IMHO the Spotify app isn't that great at all as well. I prefer the OnCue app (which will support Spotify soon).

Regards,

Tony

Suggested posts