Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify looses connection with my Google Home group very often.

Spotify looses connection with my Google Home group very often.

Hello, my home is setup with Google Home and Chromecast. I play my Spotify songs on all devices, including also a Sonos Play5 in my bedroom that doesnt want to group up with the rest sadly.

When playing songs, a playlist, from spotify to my "Appartment" group, that incluses a  Google Nest, Google Hub and a Google TV Chromecast, after a while or songs, its stops playing and you see on the TV that its looking to play, like its buffing, but it never plays. I have to restart the apps, or press STOP and resume, or go back and resume, to make the tracks play again.  Its been doing this for a long while now, loosing something, not the connection, because they are all active, but it stops playing and it buffs for EVER...

Its really annoying. Is there a solution? 

Monteal Canada,
Macbook Pro 16, 2019, master Spotify app, when im choosing the songs.
Videotron 140mbs/download service with a 5G router ZyXel Corp.
Google Hub
Google Nest 2nd Gen
Google TV + Chromecast Next Gen
Sharp Roku TV 

• TV
10 Replies

Hi there @jcmyrand,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

It’s worth running a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your devices by following these steps. This can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

Then, try unlinking your Spotify and Google Home accounts, restarting your smart speakers, restarting your router, and linking your accounts again by following the steps in this article.

Lastly, make sure that Spotify is set as the default music app.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you, Im well aware of these already. But i think i might have an insight in maybe the programing of the app itself.

When I choose a speaker, or a group, in this example, my Google TV + Chromecast. A spotify screen appears on my Google TV, that shows the song playing, at the bottom, the main options.
But this is not the same spotify, like when I choosed to open the application Spotify on my screen. That spotify has more options, albums, sugestions, very similar to the Spotify browser on my Macbook Pro. But when I play music there, from the app, with my google remote. I dont have the option to cast it to other devices, its a solo play, all the time.

When I play it together with the Hub, Nest2 and Google TV, then it goes, as said, to a different style of player. Sometimes, it plays over the Google TV broswer with opening the app. Its only when playing multiple Google products at once, that it will stop playing, buff for ever or stop.

I personally feel it might be a racket to force us to buy the Google Home router for a better experience. I hope not, because that would be sort of illegal no?

Hi there @jcmyrand,

Thank you for your reply.

We can reassure that the app should work well on all enabled devices, but it does have different options depending on what the device the playback is started.

There are a few ways to stream Spotify - we have the Connect option from mobile and desktop which allows users to start playback on mobile/desktop and connect it to other enabled speakers or groups. We also have an app for Tv that works a bit differently and it's optimized for the big screen - it looks different and offers different options (for now it doesn't have the connect feature).

It seems that we'll need to do some more troubleshooting here since it sounds like you have trouble with our connect feature.

We'll need you to confirm that you have tried the steps above and maybe try using a different network to connect all your devices to - this will help us pinpoint the issue.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey, I’ve got a similar issue. When trying to cast to a group that included a ccwgtv and nest mini from inside the Spotify app I get a buffering wheel. I can play to each device individually, and I can play to the group from within the google home group, just not from within the Spotify app. Troubleshooting so far

- reinstall Spotify app

-reinstall google home app

-delete cache in Spotify 

-delete / remake cast group

-reboot phone

-reboot both google devices 

-reset both google devices. 

problem seems to be in the connection from within the Spotify app. 

Hey @Chrish5

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

We can confirm that it's expected behavior of the app that you cannot use your account on multiple devices at the same time. That's why you can only use the Connect feature in the Spotify app to play in just one device. 

The feature to play in multiple speakers as a group is offered by Google, that's why it's only possible to do that from within the Google Home group or app.

Hope this clears things up. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I'm not trying to 'use my account on multiple devices' I have my spotify ang google accounts linked, and I only only trying to use them on the google cast group i.e. "one location". I can cast from my Spotify app to the chromecast, or to the nest, but not to the group that contains multiple speakers. 

Still problem in Spotify app to find Google Grops of speakers.

- Start on iPhone, se all, 5 minute later i dont se any, reboot phone still the same, start music on phone, go to PC and there are all groups, selectr one and it plays. Now phone show the group plying to.

Is not stable, a bit sad with so poor function for this.

And the option to pick google group of speakers dont even exist in Google TV or Apple TV.

Hi @AskThomas,

Thanks for the reply. Could you try out the troubleshooting steps provided by @CarlosE earlier in this thread and let us know if that helps?

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

May I jump in here too please.

Ive been chasing this problem for years.  I have a Spotify premium account and it works perfectly on everything except Google Home speaker groups - any combination of more than 1 speaker.  Then it randomly jitters and stutters, sometimes cuts out, sometimes comes back after seconds or minutes.

Ive tried everything above many times and even a new modem/router. 

It's not bandwidth, we stream 4k tv all the time.

Everyone Ive asked points to something in the Spotify code that doesn't play nice.

Any other suggestions that might actually help?

i have 3 google devices: a chromecast audio, a home, and a hub. all are on the same network, strong signal, latest updates installed. all 3 are in a group called "every". i control them with either my iphone or ipad, both of which also have strong signals and the latest software updates. i can see all 3 and the every group in both the google home app and in the spotify app. i can use spotify connect to stream to any of of them, no problem.

if i open spotify, play music, then choose to connect to "every" group, SOMETIMES the music turns on for all 3 devices, SOMETIMES it only turns on for the chromecast and home but not the hub, and SOMETIMES it just thinks about it for a minute and then reverts back to my iPhone app. no rhyme or reason i can deduce, no experiment i can run to replicate. just sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. 

i have tried numerous times rebooting everything, removing all the speakers and the group, adding them back to my google home network, creating new names, creating a new group. none of that fixes the problem.

any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks!!   =j

Suggested posts