Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify not working with Google Home

Solved!

Spotify not working with Google Home

Free and Premium

United States

Google Home and iPhone XS Max

iOS 12.1.4

When using Google Home and linking a Spotify account (be it Premium or Free tier) I am not getting a response back with utterances being said to the device. Ex. "Hey Google, play STARGAZING by Travis Scott." The Google Home will say sure, or ok and then not play music or do anything else. Additionally, If I happen to use the Google Home App it will open the Spotify app and just take me to the Spotify Artist page and do nothing as well and not play music.

87 Replies

Just unboxed a new Google Nest Hub today, updated the firmware, will not play Spotify. The Google Nest Mini it replaced managed this perfectly fine.

Edit: Not sure what's changed, but it has now decided to work.

Maybe good to know, this solved my problems! Thnx!

• SOLVED MY ISSUE, PRESS RESET FOR A WHILE IN THE BACK OF GOOGLE HOME MINI TO FACTORY RESET, THEN SIMPLY ADD IT AGAIN IN GOOGLE HOME. IT WORKS.

Hey @NachtBroeder

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

We're glad to hear that you're no longer experiencing this issue. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers!

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I meant to respond to this post:

SOLVED MY ISSUE, PRESS RESET FOR A WHILE IN THE BACK OF GOOGLE HOME MINI TO FACTORY RESET, THEN SIMPLY ADD IT AGAIN IN GOOGLE HOME. IT WORKS.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I’ve done that a couple times. For me,
it works for a few days and then goes back to the same problems.

Hey @DannyJude

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful for clearing any cache that might be causing issues. You can also try reinstalling Google Home and Alexa. 

We'd also recommend making sure that your Google Home device is running it's latest firmware version. 

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

For Android phones using Google's Smart Lock

I have a Pixel 4 XL and multiple Google Nest/Home Hubs/Speakers/Groups. I encountered this same issue and already tried:

• Unlinking / Relinking Spotify to Google Assistant
  • Rebooting wifi network
  • Rebooting devices (not factory reset)
  • Using a different device
  • Using Voice command, touch commands (Nest Display), desktop app, web app, mobile app

None of those work, so I tried the following

• Clear cache of Google App, Google Home App, Google Assistant App, and Spotify App
  • Uninstall Spotify App
  • Reinstall Spotify app
    • Typically, Android phones will automatically login with smart lock; I think this is where the problem lies
  • Log out of your account in the Spotify app
    • I used the "Login without a password" option, which will send you an email with a link to login

Hi everyone,

This thread started off a while back with the result that we now have a bunch of separate reports of different issues that could be caused by individual device or specific network setups spread over quite a long period of time in one place. It’s for this reason we’re going to lock the thread.

If you're still having trouble after trying all the steps @anewt225 has listed in the post above as well as checking out our support article here and making sure there isn't already an Ongoing Issue that's being looked into, let us know by starting a new thread and including all the steps you've tried so far and their outcome, so we can further help.

Thanks!

XeniaModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts