Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Sonos - play history not logging, etc.

Spotify on Sonos - play history not logging, etc.

I listen to Spotify at home on my Sonos system, which means I am primarily using the Sonos software interface to access my Spotify playlists and music. I needed to ID a track I heard and went to the Spotify desktop client to get the song name and artist and it wasn't in my history. This Sonos listen wasn't there, yet all my Spotify listens were there.

I was once told that Spotify tracks your listens and hits to your items played regardless if it's in the Spotify client or Sonos client or whereever. Apparently this is not the case, or is this a bug?

I would have made the ID in Sonos, but they recently f'd their queue functionality. If you start a new track, it wipes out your entire listen history and it's awful. I used to be able to get my history from Sonos until they made a recent app update. They mangled their queue functionality, wiping out all recent plays every time you start a fresh session. That's a separate discussion on Sonos.

So.....Is the problem I'm having in getting ID's in Spotify listen history because Sonos mangled their queue functions, or was Spotify never ever able to register plays in anything other than a Spotify app to begin with?

3 Replies

Post script - I want to use the IF app to capture all my plays automatically so I don't have to worry about losing an ID inadvertently. There's a good 'recipe' for sending all Spotify plays to a Spreadsheet in Google Drive. I prefer doing this to automatically saving playlists because I believe automatically saving playlists can throw off algorithms for your preferences (e.g., Discover Weekly.) Spotify can you confirm this?

However if the Sonos app is not writing the plays to Spotify, IF can't transfer the plays to the spreadsheet!

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. I'm enjoying my sonos system every day but didn't find a solution to keep trace of my listening.

My first thought was to use IF also, but same result, it can't work if spotify doesn't keep a trace of songs played.

@Amy3 : Did you find a solution?

@Spotify: any tips?

I still have not found a solution to this problem. And in fact I'm on here again today because I lost some songs I had wanted to save from my Discover last week but a family need kept me away from my devices before the clock turned the playlist overnight. 

IFTTT only saves lists if you either Save the song, or "save" it by transferring every song to a new playlist, thereby polluting your collections with stuff you don't want. So if you don't have the hour to curate you and / or your husband's list before the end of the week, but you've heard some stuff you think you might want, you've only saved some stuff or lost it all. 

There are weeks when I have long drives or extensive periods when I have the music on the the background and I really dig what I'm hearing. I just have no hands free to pick up my phone or laptop and wash hands, unlock, passcode, Spotify, menu, song, menu, add to playlist, playlist. SUCCESS.  --- EVERY FIVE MINUTES. 

WHAT WOULD BE GREAT SPOTIFY IS IF WE COULD JUST GET AN EXPORTED LIST OF THE TRACK NAMES AND ARTISTS OF WHAT APPEARED IN OUR DISCOVER WEEKLIES AND RADIO SO IF I WANT TO GO BACK AND LOOK THEM UP IF I'VE MISSED THEM I CAN KTHANKS AND BYE 🙂

Suggested posts