Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify on Sonos

Spotify on Sonos

I play Spotify primarily through Sonos, which I use in four different rooms, and control over four devices. I routinely make changes in volume, music selections, and room use on all devices, depending on where I am in our house. I often get this message: "Playback from Spotify was stopped because playback was started from another room or device. Spotify limits the number of simultaneous audio streams you can access from its' service." Is there a solution to this problem? As I premium user, I expect more flexibility, and assume I'm not the only person with this problem. Can someone help me solve this? Thanks.

spotify.png
14 Replies

This issue is driving me crazy. I have 1 solo sonos speaker in my kitchen. I drive spotify through my iphone 5s and i keep getting the same error saying "Playback from Spotify was stopped because playback from another room or device. Spotify limits the number of simultaneous audio streams you can access from their service." I have read other blogs about the issues with mulitple sonos speakers etc.. However, i have one device & 1 speaker! Cant really get more simple than that.. what is going on? Startig to think I have beenhacked or somthing??

I have exactly the same issue and its driving me nuts.  I have recently added an internet booster in the house, dont know if thats caused it.  Has been going for weeks now, a few more days and Spotify will have to go.  Any ideas how to solve?

I haven't had any helpful suggestions, and have switched to Apple Music.

Thanks! Looks like that's the way I might have to go....
Thanks for the reply

I used to have intermittent connection issues with my sonos, but those stopped some years ago.  This past May, I signed up for the 3months for $9.99 special with Spotify to give it another try (i had switched to google play music because their multi-person subscriptions were more open).  In any case, spotify works fine on my phone, but when streaming to 1, 2 or 3 sonos devices in home (all the same music), i get this same before even 1 song finishes.  I logged into my spotify account, and in "my profile", forced logout ALL active sessions anywhere.  Started only 1 stream, on 1 sonos device, and before the song finished, again, it came up with the "playback was stopped because playback was started on another device".   Frustrating, for sure.  

I use my sonos system anytime i'm home, and if spotify cannot work on it I suspect when my 3 month term is up, I'll end up cancelling it again.  

has anyone gotten solid feedback from Spotify on this recently?

Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 10.52.51 AM.png

Hi - many thanks for the note!

I gave up in the end, cancelled my subscription and am half way through a free trial of Apple Music with no problems.

Not much help but I was hitting a brick wall trying to fix,

Cheers

Mike

yeah, i've never had an issue with my google play music subscription on sonos, either.  I could see an issue having 2 sonos devices playing different streams, and I could probably accept that, but when i only had 1 device, playing 1 stream, and it kept stopping with this error message, it kind of defeats the purpose.

have the exact same issue...it's ridiculous that Spotify can't fix this...I've done the reinstall of the app and it was ok for a week, and then back again...tried all sorts of fixes, it just keep coming back...I'm so done with this...moving to Apple Music....

Me too, same exact issue. Everything was working fine for the last year, streaming one Spotify channel across 5 speakers, until a couple of weeks ago. Then I get the message about multiple devices detected - sometimes quickly, sometimes after several songs have played. If Spotify's intention is to only allow one Sonos speaker at a time, that is unacceptable and I will be cancelling. Now if we could only get clarity if that is the intention or if the problem will be resolved imminently...

So glad to see this post. This issue has driven me nuts too. I will cancel my sub and find an alternative to Spofify then.

I've moved over to Apple music and had no problems since. Cheers. Mike

I had this problem and I have found a temporary solution: If you have already connected your device to the sonos system and then go back into your spotify app, start playing and select more devices then you can select the room or group of rooms you want to play to.

Thanks for the suggestion — I’ll give it a try.

This issue is driving me crazy.  I drive spotify through my iphone 12 pro and i keep getting the same error saying "Playback from Spotify was stopped because playback from another room or device. Spotify limits the number of simultaneous audio streams you can access from their service." Is this NORMAL? 1st time trying to use Spotify.

Suggested posts