Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Connect] re-categorise podcasts as AUDIO so they play on Connect devices

Podcasts will not play on audio-only Connect devices because Spotify has labelled them as "mixed-media". They are not mixed media, they are audio files.

This is an issue that has been noted by the community for some time (around 18 months at least) and not addressed by Spotify in any serious way. It is not a niche problem as it will affect ALL users who listen to podcasts and own an audio-only Spotify Connect device. In other words, potentially millions of people globally. Please Spotify, rectify this issue as a matter of urgency. I for one am a regular podcast listener who bought an audio-only Connect device so that I could play podcasts through it, only to find that I cannot because of a categorisation error on your part.

To further elucidate the issue, and Spotify's lack of action on it, I point to an earlier (now closed) idea post submitted by another user (charango88) https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Connect-Make-Podcasts-playable-on-audio-...

The advice given to this Spotify user was that this is "an issue that's worth investigating" and for them to find relevant help topics. However no relevant help topics exist for this problem.

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Zugenerale
Only music is supported for spotify connect and chromecast. Support for podcast would be much appreciated!
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2017-02-17

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

paparen

I don't understand why this feature wasn't implemented. It would solve a lot of problems for me!

rimjpp

I would say it's technically no different from music. So Connect should be able to do this already.

I think they disabled this on purpose for some reason. 

hrrwsl

Any news on this? It's quite annoying that you can't play podcast on connect devices. Is there a reason why you disabled certain media from playing on connect?

Jacob
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Edit: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2018-01-30

Your idea has been submitted a while ago but unfortunately hasn't gathered enough kudos (50 per year). In order to keep an overview of the active & recent ideas in this forum, we will have to close this idea for now. However, this does not mean that your idea has been rejected by Spotify.

If you still feel strongly about your request, we encourage you to post your idea again, in a slightly different form! Maybe now is the right time to receive the support of the community for your suggestion! 😉

Do you have any further questions on how the idea exchange is managed? Just click here!

Amandar

I love that I have the ability to listen to podcasts on my phone and laptop. However, I use Spotify Connect on my Firestick often and in order to listen to a podcast (or one of my playlists.. but that's another post) I have to play it on my phone or laptop and connect to my firestick. I wish we had the ability to just find and play podcasts on the Firestick to begin with!

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2018-09-22

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Gillat

I’m not sure that I understand why podcasts are not supported with Spotify connect. This isn’t just a discussion around Yamaha receivers but any device that supports Spotify connect. Is this an issue around legal or rights? It doesn’t quite make sense if I’m able to play music, legally, on my own home stereo system, why would I not be able to play podcasts. A workaround is to just stream over airplay. But it’s just annoying to always use airplay to play podcasts but  Spotify connect for music. So there is a workaround but it’s super annoying. Would be great if Spotify could fix this. Several similar ideas have been posted and if you just search for the words “Spotify connect podcast” you’ll find parallels and similarities. 

MartinStoichkov
Status changed to: Inactive Idea

Note: This idea has been reposted here.

Updated on 2019-09-26

Hello there!
This idea has been submitted one year ago, but unfortunately hasn’t gained enough votes during that time (100 votes/year). In order to keep an overview of the active ideas in this forum, this idea will be closed for now. Note that this does not mean the idea has been declined by Spotify.
Please feel free to re-post this idea if you still feel you want this implemented. With a little change in presentation, maybe this time it will gain the necessary support from the community. 

For more info: