Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify radios got super repetitive

Spotify radios got super repetitive

Since a few months, there are two bands that start the radio most of the time. One is Mors Principium Est when I play an album that's anything close to Melodic (Death) Metal, and the other is Draconian when I play any kind of Doom / Atmospheric Metal, always a track from their last album.

I love these two bands, and their last albums are great, but a little variety would be nice here! Spotify is about to ruin those album to me by always pushing them after I end pretty much any album.

It would be great to be able to tweak the "similarity" index of radios, to avoid always listening to the same 5-10 similar bands, but rather explore further away from the original album.

6 Replies

Hey @Sonastra.

Thanks for reaching out.

Keep in mind that the song in the Radios are based on a variety of factors, such as artists name/genre, your personal likes, and the music libraries of users with similar tastes. That's why it might take a while for the list to get filled  with more songs that haven't come up on your radar yet. You can help the algorithm by expanding your library with new liked songs and albums or liking additional artists. That would speed up the process.

In the meantime, it's a good idea to add your support for these Ideas:

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks, I'll support the two ideas.

But I don't really agree with the explanation though, I've been using Spotify for 8 years now, and my library is pretty wide. I think there was really a change in the way radios work recently that made those two bands I mentioned above come always first after any album that's remotely similar to them, and I didn't even listen to those two bands that much on Spotify. So I'm still confused.

Ok that's it I'm done with spotify radios, they are now ridiculous.

It just started a radio on an album with ... the last track of that same album. Playing the same track twice in a row. That's not AI anymore, that's stupid algorithms. 

Hey @Sonastra,

Thanks for your posts.

We understand your frustration as a long time user.

The next best step in this situation would be to vote on the Ideas that @Mihail has linked to. The developers are always trying to improve the user experience of the app and they do their best to resolve issues like this. However algorithm changes and development take time.

Hope this helps. 

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I can understand it takes time to build a good algorithm from scratch, but that's not what you need to do here. You could just 1. stop breaking things, 2. revert the algorithm to its state from 3-4 years ago when it wasn't stupid.

I guess you're just changing it in ways that target more mainstream audiences that listen to a very narrow spectrum of music, all that to make money with those big hits. But it's really disgusting that you would destroy the experience for the audiophile just to make more money.

Hi again @Sonastra,

Thanks for your reply.

We're sorry to hear you feel that way. At Spotify, we're always striving to improve the app and the overall experience, and we appreciate you sharing your feedback, as it helps us get better. We'll make sure to pass it on to the right folks.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Suggested posts