Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify remote controlling Sonos! (no wifi)

Spotify remote controlling Sonos! (no wifi)

I’ve noticed recently that on occasion when in my car & attempting to use Spotify, I sometimes will get no sound through the car - this is usually when I recently have had Spotify app being directed to play through my sonos.

just happened to be that 3 days ago when this happened and my wife was at home - I had an alert on my car that my device volume was low, so I turned the volume on my phone to max - this proceeded to blast the sonos at full volume (playing my Spotify account). I was >5km from home & definitely not on wifi.

my wife, somewhat stunned, turned the volume back down - sometimes when I get no sound from Spotify through the car, skipping a song or restarting a song will fix this & then get sound through the car - this time though it was skipping songs through the sonos, so my wife was getting the same song playing repeatedly or skipping repeatedly along with regularly getting blasted at full volume & turn the volume down.

out of exasperation she rang me & asked if I was trying to play music in the car. After a moments confusion & subsquent hysterical laughter we worked out what was going on.

however even after the call (which was through the cars Bluetooth so my phone was definitely linked through my car) when I tried changing music etc again it continued to mess with the sonos at home - it wasn’t until I opened the Spotify app and hit “devices” to select the cars Bluetooth that it disconnected from the sonos at home.

overall it remote controlled the home sonos for ~30minutes & had full control. Unsure if this is a Spotify or Sonos issue, but it only happens when i have been using my Spotify to play through the sonos.

Anyone shed light on this??

Plan

Premium

Country

Australia

Device

Iphone8. Car Bluetooth: BMW. Sonos Play:5

Operating system

ios-11

My Question or Issue

3 Replies

Hey @de-exjy_bwqhu.

If you're using the Sonos app, and your Spotify account is linked to it, anyone using the speaker will have access to your Spotify account.

In this case, I suggest logging out of the Sonos app to avoid this from happening again.

If you're not using the Sonos app to link your Spotify account, make sure there aren't other devices using your account at home, linked to the speaker, that could be causing this issue.

All the best.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Hi - there isn’t a possibility of this happening.

My Spotify is used through the Spotify app to the sonos - the Sonos uses a
different Spotify login.

The only possible way that this incident would have happened is if someone
else was connected to our network and using the Sonos app to mess the the
volume etc. Only my wife was at home

No worries!

Just to confirm, did the phone app have the banner that your Spotify was playing on a different device when this happened?

Also, do you happen to have other devices at home using your Spotify account?

Keep us posted.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Suggested posts