Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify wakes up my switched off soundbar

Spotify wakes up my switched off soundbar

After connecting my Samsung Q800T soundbar to Spotify, the device wakes up whenever I play a song in the app. 

Even if I turn off my soundbar and make sure that within the app I have my phone selected the soundbar still turns on after I hit play. I logged out of all my devices, then logged in on my phone. After the first connection to the device is made, the soundbar still turns on automatically when I hit play on my phone, even if its not selected.

This is the exact same issue as described in this thread: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-wakes-switched-off-connected-device-without...

I there any way to stop Spotify from "pinging" devices that are not selected as this seems to be the issue ? I just can't believe that this can only be solved by the soundbar's manufacturer (Samsung). 

38 Replies

Hi there @Rogigor,

Thank you for your post here in the Community.

Can you try logging out Everywhere on your account and after that reconnect one device to the soundbar.

We also suggest that you make sure that the soundbar isn't paired with the device via Bluetooth. If it is, try to forger/remove the device.

Keep us posted 🙂

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

@Jeremy

The soundbar isn't connected via Bluetooth. I tried logging out everywhere and forgetting the device. The result is only temporary, as whenever I connect to the soundbar through Spotify again this issue returns. Forgetting the device every time I listen to Spotify on the soundbar is not a solution in my opinion as this was not what this system was designed for.

I contacted Samsung and after analysis this is Spotify issue. My soundbar can be controlled remotely even if I'm not at home - it has cloud control. So for example I can be in a car and once I start Spotify and hit play, my soundbar turns on at home. I have option Show local devices only turned on so I can't see the soundbar on the list, but it wakes up anyway.

It seems that Spotify after starting music sends some kind of "ping" or some other signal to all remembered devices even if they're offline. And since my sounbar is online all the time (cloud ontrol) it receives this signal and reacts to it as it should.

Hey @Rogigor,

Thanks for the reply and the info.

We'd suggest running a factory reset on the sound bar and then re-pairing it with your phone.

If that doesn't make a difference, try logging in with a different account and linking your devices to that one. This will help us check if it's an account related issue.

You can create a free account or ask a friend to log in with theirs on your devices to test this.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

@Alex

I did try that - nothing helps. Here's what I already did:

• Factory reset the soundbar
  • Making sure that the soundbar has the latest firmware
  • Switching to different WIFI networks and mobile data
  • Reinstalling spotify
  • Changing account to a different one - it is not account related
  • Forgetting the device and logging out everywhere (as described above)

I honestly tried every troubleshooting possible - nothing works. 

@Alex and @Jeremy this is the information I received from Samsung. 

This is how they (Spotify) have the API configuration set up within their application, It sends the signal to the soundbar, and there's nothing that Samsung can do regarding this situation, as we stated numerous times before as we're not the app developer of this application.

Hey @Rogigor,

Thanks for the reply and the info you've provided.

We've passed this info on to the right teams at Spotify.

For the time being your best option would be forgetting the device and signing out.

Some users on the forum have reported that changing your password might also help. However, in this case the issue most likely comes from the fact that when turned off some speakers and TVs don't turn off, but rather go into connected sleep mode. So they can be awaken from apps like Spotify.

A possible workaround would be to link another account to the sound bar. Either a free one or a Family under account if you're part of a family plan. This way the sound bar itself won't be affected by any casting on your main account.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Changing password doesn't help, as you predicted - I checked that now. I also tried your workaround idea. I linked my wife's account to the soundbar, played some music, stopped casting and turned off the soundbar. Once I did that, my account doesn't wake the soundbar anymore but this is just a temporary fix, same as forgetting the device. Once I cast music to the soundbar from my phone, it'll be waken up every time I hit play, so after each time when I'm done listening to music I'd have to either forget the device, or link it to a different Spotify account. So it doesn't really fix the issue.

Thank you very much for passing this further. Is it possible to get a ticket number to track this issue? Or could you update this thread once you get any feedback when this will be fixed?

Hey @Rogigor,

Thanks for your reply!

Regarding the feedback - we can't share the ticket number and it wouldn't be possible to track it outside of the internal system.

We'll get back to you and post a reply in this thread as soon as we have more information on the matter 🙂 

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Do you  have any news about this issue?

Hi @Alex,

Is there any update on this issue?

Hi there @Rogigor,

Thank you for your reply.

They're still investigating this. We assure you that this is being looked into.

As soon as we have any updates we'll post in this thread.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The same issue with a Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar, it took me a few days before finding out it was Spotify waking it up 😉

Hey folks,

We have good news on this one. We got an update that this should now be fixed with the latest Samsung update.

We'd recommend updating your devices and letting us know how it goes.

Keep us in the loop!

ElenaModerator

Hi Elena,

There is no new soundbar firmware on Samsung's website and the issue still exists.

Are you sure it's supposed to be Samsung's update, not Spotify app ? Samsung moderator's on their forums were very clear that it is Spotify's pinging that wakes up the soundbar (see my previous posts).

Hi @Rogigor,

Thank you for your swift reply.

Could you check this article with some steps and information about updating your Samsung sound bar? 

Don't worry if you're still not able to see the new update, as it is probably still being rolled out.

Hope this helps.

MafeGModerator

@MafeG

I checked this article. There's no new firmware available to download either through the Smartthings app nor via Samsung Download Center.

I'll wait until the end of this week and let you know if any update is visible.

There's isn't any Samsung firmware update available via any channel.  Are you sure it was supposed to be Samsung's fix?

As I said before -  their support clearly stated that this is Spotity's issue and that you have to solve it on your side. Is this getting looked into by your teams as previously stated?

Hi @Rogigor,

Thanks for the reply.

We've reached out to the team backstage and we've been informed that this is something that should be fixed with the latest firmware update from Samsung.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

Would it be possible to ask the backstage team if this is information directly from Samsung? And do they know if the firmware update supposed to be already available or will be rolled out in the near future?

I already have the latest firmware which is 1019.5 released on April 06,2021.
Even their 2021 models latest firmware is from 03 May 2021.

I will try to reach Samsung about this as well, but their forums/support isn't nearly as effective and helpful as yours 🙂

Suggested posts