Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify wakes up my switched off soundbar

Spotify wakes up my switched off soundbar

After connecting my Samsung Q800T soundbar to Spotify, the device wakes up whenever I play a song in the app. 

Even if I turn off my soundbar and make sure that within the app I have my phone selected the soundbar still turns on after I hit play. I logged out of all my devices, then logged in on my phone. After the first connection to the device is made, the soundbar still turns on automatically when I hit play on my phone, even if its not selected.

This is the exact same issue as described in this thread: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Spotify-wakes-switched-off-connected-device-without...

I there any way to stop Spotify from "pinging" devices that are not selected as this seems to be the issue ? I just can't believe that this can only be solved by the soundbar's manufacturer (Samsung). 

38 Replies

Hi @Rogigor,

Thanks for the reply.

We'll reach out again for confirmation and will let you know, as soon as we hear something.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have a Samsung soundbar HW-Q70T and also encounter the same issue.

Last time I check there's no firmware update for my soundbar either.

I've followed this thread for a while. Hope this issue can be resolved soon💪

Hello there, as I bought my new soundbar Samsung Q950T, I only mention, that this issue is still present. I have absolutely same experience with investigation until i figured out, that Spotify, everywhere I start to listen music (for example at work, at my car, out of home...), will always waking up my soundbar at home. So I'm looking for a solution as many others in this thread.

@Alex

Any updates on that? It's been almost two months now. 

Kindly reminder. Any updates on this issue? Is anyone even working on it?

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts.

We've checked again with the teams working on the matter, and we've been informed that Samsung has released a fix for soundbars from 2021. If you have such a device, you should check fro available firmware updates.

Our speaker team is still working with Samsung on a fix for older devices as well. We don't have an exact timeline for this fix yet.

Hope this information helps.

AlexModerator

Hi Alex,

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware - 1021.0 (same as for 2021 models) and the issue still exists. There have been several fixes addressed by this upgrade but this isn't one of them.

Samsung has already multiple times said that this isn't Samsung's issue, but Spotify's. Could you please reach the dev teams and estimate the fix? 

Hi @Rogigor,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently we don't have official info on an exact timeline for a fix.

We'll let you know here as soon as we have more information on the matter.

Meanwhile, don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator

I have the same problem with a Yamaha soundbar.

Is there a fix yet?

Hi @Pig13,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

We've continued to work on improving the optimization of the app to work alongside other devices. What could be happening as well is that the sound bars are set on "Standby mode", meaning they wake up as soon as they notice a signal. 

Could you please confirm if the same behavior is present in other apps as well? 

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

Only spotify has this problem.
It even switched to the soundbar when i'm not in the same location.

I've already explained this issue in detail in this thread. Yes - when you turn off soundbar, be it Samsung or Yamaha, they go into standby mode. Once paired with Spotify, it will automatically turn them on as soon as you start playing any song even if you didn't select the soundbar as the playing device. You don't even have to be in the same wifi network if your soundbar supports cloud control - and Samsung does. 

You have to forget the soundbar every time after you stop listening if you don't want Spotify app to wake it.  

What happens is that Spotify polls (sends signal to check availability) each paired device as soon as it starts playing any song. I can't believe it's such a big issue to fix, but you just don't seem to care about it.

Hi folks! 

Thanks for getting back to us.

We can confirm that compatible device discovery on a network has been a part of Spotify's feature set for a long time, and it hasn't changed much. However, we can't control how all devices react to this.

The same discovery procedure is used for all devices and we don't see many reports for the same behavior, so unfortunately it must be isolated to specific models. The last info we also received was that Samsung has released a fix for Soundbars from 2021, but we don't have any information on prior models.

If you have any questions or need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Any update on this issue? Thx

Don't hold your breath, they won't fix it as they claim it's not their fault, and I've already described in details that it in fact is.

We can confirm that compatible device discovery on a network has been a part of Spotify's feature set for a long time, and it hasn't changed much. However, we can't control how all devices react to this.

All it would take is to turn off "pinging" remembered devices when not in the same network. Or to be able to turn off this feature entirely.

Since about 2 months I have Spotify and my Samsung soundbar 950A a little longer.. This problem is still present and super annoying. I will stop my Spotify subscription soon after I migrated my playlists. Every evening I come home I need to turn off my soundbar manually. Fix this Spotify!

Same thing happens with me, using Spotify app on MacOS. I'm not paired with the Soundbar via bluetooth. All I did was to cast the sound to it one single time via WiFI. There is no pairing. Now every time I hit play (even after a pause), Spotify turns on my Soundbar.

This is 100% fixable from Spotify side, they just don't care. All it takes is to add a "forget" button to the list of selectable devices to play from. 

Spotify ignores that software lifecycle from hardware manufactures is not the same as pure software companies. Samsung will do nothing to fix this (neither will other Soundbar manufacturers). Spotify doesn't offer the ability of signing out from remote devices or forget them.

Pure and evil customer non-service. 

It's the end of another year without fixes. Turning of the soundbar multiple times a day manually really tires me. Not physically, but mentally. It should not be necessary.

Another year has passed without a fix. This is really frustating, being ignored like this. Step up your game Spotify, you are losing subscribers over something this simple. And I can't imagine this is the only issue that is being ignored.

Suggested posts