Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify with Google Home Not Working

Spotify with Google Home Not Working

Hi,

I have multiple problems with Spotify which started just a couple of days ago. Others have similar or identical problems. I am a premium account holder.

(1) Web player doesn't work anymore. It just skips songs a few times and then stops. I tried on Chrome and Firefox, at work and at home - same issue all the time. I can't use the desktop app at work due to firewall issues. Desktop app works well at home as well as Android phone app.

(2) Spotify and Chromecast/Google Home doesn't work anymore. I have tried unlinking all the devices and relinking them (Google Minis, Chromecasts and Chromecast Audios), unlinking the Spotify account and relinking, rebooting multiple times, but still not working. Google assistant responds and says "Now playing <whatever> on Spotify ...", but no sound is playing. Looking at the Google Home app on my phone as this is happenning is showing that the songs are being cast and playing normally with album cover art as well - so Google Home thinks everything is OK, but no sound.

Any ideas? Has there been an update which broke some accounts? Not really happy about paying for premium if this doesn't work as it should.

Hopefully this issue can be fixed soon.

10 Replies

I have problem no 2 too. It is super annoying. This is one of the major "use cases" for me.

Same here.  I have a Chromecast video and a Chromecast audio. The video one skips tracks every few seconds until eventually settling on a track that I did not choose, but no sound comes out, even though the song timing bar moves on my phone (but not on my TV).  The audio version cannot connect at all - it just says "connecting", but never makes the connection.

I have deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone (Samsung J5, Android 7), but it makes no difference.

Spotify - Chromecast has been plagued with problems for many months now.  Every other app works perfectly on Chromecast, so this has to be a Spotify problem.  If you do not fix this within 14 days, I'm leaving.

I called Google and they are having an issue with the integration since the recent changes with Spotify but of course no ETA on a fix.

So, if I understand you correctly it is Googles problem, not Spotifys??

same problem since 4 days!!!

That is what they said to me on the phone. They have a bug open on their end being their integration is broken but no ETA on a fix and this is impacting all users trying to use Spotify with a Google Home. I'll get the bug ID later today if I can.

I Have the same issue and I solved it by uncheck the option of the chromecast Audio and Google home called Full Dinamic Range. When it was checked the audio stop working. After unchecking it came back to life.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en

They just got back to me and it appears to be fixed in general so you may be able to renable that now.

Thanks, I will try that.

Can confirm that both my issues are fixed now. As already mentioned, the issue was at Google's end and they have fixed it.

Cheers!

Suggested posts