NEXT STEP

Spotify x Amazon Echo - Multi-room broken

Spotify x Amazon Echo - Multi-room broken

Plan

Premium

Country

United Kingdom

Device

(iPhone, Windows, Echo 3rd Gen, Echo Plus 2nd Gen)

Operating System

(iOS 10, Windows 10,etc.)

My Issue

Since December 2019 - I have had issues with Alexa playing music on Spotify multi-room. (Possible never worked properly)

- If the multi-room contains a audio system (two joined Echos or Echos joined to a fire stick), after playing music for a two seconds it just stops audio.

- I can see on my phone that Spotify is still playing. (Sometimes, sometimes it just disconnects and the device disappears for a while)

- I can replicate the issue every time.

I started a Reddit group and looks like lots of users are having this issue. = https://www.reddit.com/r/amazonecho/comments/ekw15v/alexa_x_spotify_issues/

- Before someone from Spotify tries to put this issue down to Amazon, there are no issues using any other streaming services. This must be down to poor implementation.

I am a user of Spotify for 10+ years, but this is becoming a deal-breaker.

Top Answer
tutkovic
Casual Listener

maybe the same or similar issue.  I have several gen 3 echo Dots, 1 original Echo, and 3 gen 2 Echo Dots.  The pattern I’ve found is that whenever a gen 2 Echo Dot is in a group, that group disappears from Spotify.  Take the gen 2’s out and the group reappears in Spotify and works properly.  The just started happening in the last week.  Up until that time, all of my devices were in a group called Everywhere and worked fine for over a year.

I’ve unlinked, re-linked my accounts, I’ve deleted all devices and groups and re-added from scratch.  I even took my router back to factory defaults and created a new network with a new name, adding devices 1 by 1.  The pattern described above still holds true — anytime a gen 2 Echo Dot is in the group, it doesn’t work.  Remove the gen 2’s and it works.

24 Replies

Still not fixed for me, just found this post and tested to remove the GEN2 from the group and all of a sudden I can find it on Spotify.

Then tried to add it back to see if it was fixed, damn it desapeared again !

How did you fix it ?

I've been having this same issue with no music groups showing in Spotify Connect for the last few months. Tried all the solutions too - and removing the Gen 2 Echo Dot worked. The group now shows and works as expected. I have various Echo/Dot/Flexes and the later gen devices all seem to work fine.

There doesn't seem to be a solution from Amazon yet. I'll probably replace my Gen 2 with a newer model.

This is a separately issue to Spotify only showing the first two groups you've created. I believe that's on the Spotify UI side. Adding a Gen 2 Echo to a group removes any group from Spotify, even if you only have one group. I don't have a Gen 1 but it'd be interesting to know if that also kills the group.

You can check which generation your Echo belongs to here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GHRYQ6GHE4A5TUD2

I am using the latest Spotify skill in Alexa android app...no version displayed...

Also have spotify 8.6.36.1070 in my android phone. 

When grouping my 2 echo dot, I have to explicitly request Spotify to "play  music in <group name>"... otherwise it wont start... however even asking explicitly the music wont start or will stop after 1 song,  please help!!!

I'm having the same issue.
I have 2x 2nd Gen Echos, and 2x 4th Gen Echos.
The 4th Gen are setup on a Left/Right pair, the other echos are on 2 different rooms.
Playing Spotify on JUST the Paired devices already ends up on broken playback, trying to play on the Everywhere group is a nightmare. There is NO echo that can play through an entire song without having cuts. Playing from the skill directly is broken, playing from my phone is broken, playing from my computer is broken. Having my wifi with ONLY the echo's connected, makes no difference...

The 4th Gen (the paired ones) are in the same room with the WiFi router. I tried setting up my Echos with my wife's account, still broken...

Trying to have all 4 echos playing at the same time is frankly nauseating, and surely one by one just, stops playing until the house is in total silence, but my phone will tell me music is still playing in the Everywhere group, as will my computer. Sometimes one of them goes silent and decides to play again on the next song... sometimes never plays again...

Either way not being able to play 1 Single song with consistency simply does not happen. Streaming 4K HDR content on netflix? Sure... But preloading 1 song and playing it on a speaker? Impossible... Makes the PC app hang, doesn't show where in the music is, pressing next song or previous results in nothing...

I can understand that the user base of people using Alexa might be considerably smaller than the rest that uses the App, but as paying customers we would like to get the same kind of support, and if you guys do not plan to solve this issue with Amazon, then it would be better to pull the skill out and not advertise that you work with Alexa. It's borderline false advertisement.

Guys, same issue here! Can they sort this out asap, please? I just don't wanna waste money on a new speaker! I want my Alexa to work! By the way, regarding Amazon, I had ordered this body scale a few weeks ago, and I'd like to return it cause it doesn't go well with my bathroom. But since three weeks have already passed since it's been delivered to me, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to actually return it. Can anyone help? Looking forward to hearing from you.

Suggested posts