Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Streaming from WIndows Phone 8 to Wireless Speaker (Pioneer A4)

Streaming from WIndows Phone 8 to Wireless Speaker (Pioneer A4)

Just checking if this is possible vie network.

I have my iPad streaming perfectly ... 

My son can stream from his Android, but not sure how to do this with Windows Phone 8.

I have the app, but cannot see how I can connect to devices ... is this only avialable to AirPlay ... I note that the promotional video all seem to show iPhones.

I have the thick client and it also seems to only want to stream to a device that is connected ... 

Surely I can stream from the thick client to a wireless device ...

11 Replies

What technology is your son using to stream (Airplay/Bluetooth/Connect)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter,

He is using two pieces ...

The first is the Pioneer Control App ... that works really well and enables him to play his music from his phone ... had to update the firmware on the A4 speaker to make it work ...

Then today ... I found an old HTC Desire phone ... I then downloaded the spotify app for android from m.spotify.com ... and installed this ... this also uses Connect and found the Pioneer speaker .. and seems to work very well.

Note there are some steps to side load onto Android phones, but in reality I updated the firmware on the phone as well (as I had not used for some time), then when you download the apk file, I just opened that apk file and it installed and worked.

I had to enable in the settings the ability to install apps not from the marketplace.

I could not find the spotify app in the google marketplace from my phone and when browsing, Google Play wanted to install to a tablet I no longer own ...

Is that what you are looking for ?

I should add that I am not interested in Bluetooth ...

I do not want to keep my phone near the device, but just press play and then walk wherever I want ... (not stay within a few meters of the speaker) ...

Hi. The A4 speaker supports airplay and spotify connect, neither of which are available on WP8 I'm afraid.

Hey there.

As mentioned before, there is no Connect in Spotify for Windows Phone.

I can't find any news when or if this will be available.

is this the case for the thick client as well ...

I have a surface device so can use that if the WP8 is not up to the job ...

Shame .. I have a synology audio station and that works perfectly from the WP8 ...

I am trying to move away from Apple ...

The HTC seems to be working well ... so when I set something playing from the iPad, the Android sees what is playing ...

Is there a WP8 request list .. or is that just a waste of time !!!

WP8 seems to be pretty much unloved by Spotify at the moment and you'll find several threads in the Ideas section revolving around this. This seems to be the most general one so please add your support.

I have a setup where I have a secured network (so the WPS button is no good), with a Windows 8 PC with a **bleep** load of music on it, iTunes, Spotify Premium and a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone along with an iPhone 5 and  and iPod touch and I am trying to play music on a wireless Pioneer speaker XW-SMA4 with upgraded firmware. I also have a XW-SMA1 and an XW-SMA3.

I intially struggled to setup the Pioneer speaker but after trial and error plugged it in via ethernet and loaded my secure newtrork settings to it.

Now if I am in iTunes I can find it almost immeadiately and play music to through using the airplay option, this works well.

I can also play music if I am Ethernet connected or connected via the Aux port.

After this my problems start......

If I want to stream music through Spotify I can not find any Spotify Connect icon on my PC, my iPod or my Galaxy.

And things seem to be hit and miss as to whther the Pioneer unit actually connects to my network or not, surely I should just power the unit up and with its previously setup settings it should automatically connect to my network and allow me to connect to it and play music.

HELP PLEASE.

btw I am reasonably IT literate and am still struggling.

Spotify Connect is currently only supported on iOS 6/7 devices and android 2.3+, it's not yet available in the desktop client.

Do you have uPnP enabled on your router and port 4070 open for Spotify to connect on?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi ... I had a similar problem ... and it would seem that the routers can have a big impact here ... I just upgraded my router to an ASUS as the TP Link had serious issues with the data that was being moved around ... (The TP-LINK would crash ever 1 or 2 days).

The ASUS is BRILLIANT ... everything is streaming etc and seems to always be up ... but i noticed that I could not connect any i devices via Airplay and hte A4 speaker was missing other than through Pioneer controls etc.

Turns out that the ASUS "disables" IGMP snooping ... turns out once I enabled this my speaker was visible again and Spotify could stream from the i devices ...

Still an issue for Windows phones ... but could help ...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554393?tstart=0

Suggested posts