Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The new Google Home Mini that Spotify gave me free (thank you) does not play spotify

Solved!

The new Google Home Mini that Spotify gave me free (thank you) does not play spotify

The Google Home Mini that Spotify gave me for being a cherished Premium subscriber works great in every way -- except it won't play Spotify. Whenever I try it claims to be playing what I asked for and then immediately says, "Something went wrong" and suggests I try again later. I was chatting with a Google Home CSR on and off for three hours with no resolution.

At one point we reset the device and set it up again and I got a message saying that the device was manufactured for another country (I am in the US) and my wifi might not work correctly. (It did not say this the first time I set it up.) Anywho, everything else about the device works fine (Eufy lights, Hue lights, phone calls via Google Voice) except Spotify. And Spotify works fine on all my other devices, including my Amazon Echo. 

I've tried setting up the device with both my iPad and my Galaxy 7 Edge. It has no effect on the failuer of the device to play Spotify.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Okay... Solved. Apparently I can log into Spotify with either my email or my user name. I unlinked the account from the Home app, which I'm pretty sure was using my email and then relinked it with my user name. Voila. It worked. 

Thanks for your efforts. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Hello @Biigdaddio! Thanks for reaching out.

This sounds like something for Google Support. It's their product, so they'll be able to take a look into it better and hopefully solve this as soon as possible 🙂 You can get in touch with them here or on Twitter @MadeByGoogle.

Hope this helps!

Jose_MSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Well, as to this being Google's issue, maybe yes maybe no.

Note my original post says, "I was chatting with a Google Home CSR on and off for three hours with no resolution." So I think I have that covered already. Google says they will continue to work on it but...

I also note, "At one point ... I got a message saying that the device was manufactured for another country (I am in the US) and my wifi might not work correctly." The wifi works fine but Spotify does not.

So I am posting here to see if anyone else who got the free device from Spotify has similar issues. Google says they've had quite a number of this same complaint lately and I'm wondering if it is related to the Spotify promotion. I'm just thinking, if Spotify got a deal on these devices and if it turns out that the devices they got don't actually work with Spotify because they were manufactured for another country (that might have a different process/address/authentication scheme than the US), then Spotify might want to know so they could get out in front of the problem and help find a solution rather than just punting it back to Google.

Hello there! Thanks for your reply.

Can you let me know if you could play anything (not just Spotify) after you got the "device was manufactured for another country error"?

Keep me posted 🙂
Jose_MSpotify Star

Hey Biigdaddio, how long has your device been set up? When I first set up my Spotify account for the Google Home, it took a day or two to actually work, and when I upgraded to Premium (I was on free at the time) to took another day or two to get the Premium features. 

Google Play and Pandora work fine.

It has been set up for about a week.

@TJDlink wrote:

Hey Biigdaddio, how long has your device been set up?

Hah. Google came back and asked me a bunch of questions that I've already answered and they want me to change my router dns and give the mini a static IP. The static IP is fine I guess bu I really don't know if it is worth it to change the DNS on my router. It isn't clear to me how their specified DNS is going to make a difference... Thoughts from anyone more technically savvy than me?

Hello there!

Can you try having a clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps. Also, can you let me know if you are using a VPN? This could be interfering with things. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend you change your Spotify country settings and make sure they match your current location. If the issue persist, can you let me know if this also happens using another internet connection?

Hope this helps and keep me posted!

Jose_MSpotify Star

How does the Spotify app interact with requests made directly on the Home Mini? My phone is not involved in this operation as far as I can see.

My location is already set to the US, I'm not using a VPN and I don't quite know how to test the device on another network. Do you mean likelgo to someone else's house and set up the device there? 

Can you try having a clean reinstall of the app? Just follow these steps. Also, can you let me know if you are using a VPN? This could be interfering with things. If that doesn't help, I'd recommend you change your Spotify country settings and make sure they match your current location. If the issue persist, can you let me know if this also happens using another internet connection?

Hello there!

This sounds like it can be an issue related with your network so it'd be great if you could try another internet connection. You could do this at a friend or family members house, but it might also work if you create a hotspot network with your phone.

Let me know how this goes!

Jose_MSpotify Star
Marked as solution

Okay... Solved. Apparently I can log into Spotify with either my email or my user name. I unlinked the account from the Home app, which I'm pretty sure was using my email and then relinked it with my user name. Voila. It worked. 

Thanks for your efforts. 

Hey @Biigdaddio!

I'm glad to hear everything's fine now. Make sure to let me know if you have any other questions and have a nice day 🙂

Jose_MSpotify Star
handShake30fps.gif

Suggested posts