Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Upcoming Changes to your Spotify Account

Upcoming Changes to your Spotify Account

My Question or Issue just got an email with that heading. Here is the part that I am confused about and wondered if anyone else received a similar email. I am not responding to the embedded links.

"Starting August 04, 2021, we'll be upgrading our systems to ensure the accuracy of sales tax we are obligated by law to collect from subscribers. If you do not update your account information, we will charge a rate in accordance with instructions from your state tax authority. Any changes will be applied automatically as of your next billing date after August 04, 2021"

9 Replies

Hey @Telouse 

This is a legit email from Spotify. The purpose is to collect the proper tax amount.

I got one of these emails today and I followed the link and added my address to my Spotify account.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

And what happens if I do not have an address or state listed, and do not update it?

Hey @davidknight100 

The email says

"Starting August 04, 2021, we'll be upgrading our systems to ensure the accuracy of sales tax we are obligated by law to collect from subscribers. If you do not update your account information, we will charge a rate in accordance with instructions from your state tax authority. Any changes will be applied automatically as of your next billing date after August 04, 2021."

Tax will still be charged, it's just a matter of how accurate it will be if you enter your address or not. Currently only the zip code from your payment method is on file.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The zip code is how they'll figure it out.  Got it.  Thanks!

still seems ambiguous to me. You have my zip, so what is the problem? Just tax according to zip, end of story.

I had to sign in for mine

I agree.  Just seems very fishy.

OH! for sure, "fishy" is "spot on" no pun intended

I think another thing about this, is that we should all make sure we check our next monthly billing to see how they may have changed, and there should be NO additional  changes if they already had my zip which equals my state sales tax. That should have been there all along.

Suggested posts