Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Volvo App takes one minute to start, very slow

Volvo App takes one minute to start, very slow

Plan

Premium

Country

Sweden 

Device

Volvo Sensus Connect Bowers Wilkins. S90 2018

Operating System

Volvo Sensus Connect

My Question or Issue

it takes more than one minute for the App to connect after starting the car and 30 seconds when switching from Radio to Spotify App. The display shows ”Connecting”. Very annoying when you go for short rides. Music starts after three blocks. I have simcsrd for 4G in the car, and very good covearge. It is always same delays. Unclear if it is the car or the app to blame. Anyone that have quicker connection?

27 Replies

I have the same issue and more. Unfortunately each company blames the other and neither takes responsibility. Makes for a great customer experience. They should just discontinue the app if they aren't going to support it

Hey there @doostango ,

Thank you for reaching out about this. We're happy to help.

We recommend you do a clean reinstall of the app - you can find the steps here.

It would also be great if you could let us know if this started happening recently, for example after an update?

Let us know how everything goes. We're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

Tried this multiple times to no avail, Apps not been updated on Volvo's for so long and becoming almost unusable

Is there a plan for an update soon?

Hey there @9h_f-mevc9di6,

Thank you for your post in this thread.

Just to confirm - did you perform a clean reinstall of the app as @Peter suggested? 

Can you also let us know which version of the app you have?

For now we can't tell an exact date for the next released version of the app.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

There doesn't appear to be instructions for a clean reinstall in a Volvo, however I have removed the App, restarted the car after leaving it off for a while, and reinstalled the app but this has not fixed the issue

Connectivity and performance has deteriorated rapidly over the past month or so whether using tethering or hotspot, but all other internet based apps work just fine in the car.

Is the app supported by Spotify or Volvo as it is in clear need of an update?

Than you for keeping in touch.

We suggest that you check if there's any issues with your 4G modem.

If that doesn't do the trick we recommend that you contact Volvo support.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Hi Jeremy,
I use bluetooth tethering for my car and have even tried WiFi hotspot, all other apps that use internet work just fine and the only issues I get is with the Spotify app

My phone is fully updated and presents no issues (OnePlus 7 Pro)

Is the app supported by Volvo or Spotify?

Hey again @9h_f-mevc9di6,

Thank you for your reply.

Is it slow only when connecting with the phone or directly via the in-car system?

Keep us posted 🙂 

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

My phone is Bluetooth tethering to my car to provide internet to the Volvo Sensus system, I don't have the SIM card feature installed in my car hence why I use bluetooth tethering.

Once the car is on and has picked up the tether I use Spotify app in car thats on the Volvo Sensus touchscreen, not the Spotify app on my phone.

The app tends to hang on "connecting", or times out saying "no internet" (even though all other apps on the Volvo Sensus work just fine) or when it finally does connect and get past a lot of buffering it may eventually settle down and start working... if I haven't finished my trip by then.

I only use the in car on screen app and don't interact with my phone at all through the process.

Great to see all discussions to my initial post. I just want to say that I still have the issue. Just to clarify. It is the built in app in sensus , and I have a sim card in the car. I even tried two providers. Software update in car is from this Month.
As a coincidence  the communication box was replaced last summer due to that it broke down. And the delay was the same with the new and the old one. I have also deleted and reinstalled. It is also quite frequent that the connection fails totally connecting ..... for a whole ride. 

Exact same symptoms I experience, whether the app works properly or not is pure luck of the draw.

To me then it would seem very clear cut, regardless of whether you use the in car modem, bluetooth tethering or WiFi hotspot... there is definitely an issue with the Sensus Spotify App and it is in dire need of an update.

Which begs the question once again, who supports/updates the app? Volvo or Spotify? And why hasn't it received an update in so long? I can't even remember the last time it was done

I would very happy if this t would be fixed! 
With  B&W audio the sound quality is so much better with volvo app than when streaming over bluetooth from iPhone. (When it works)
Using  with CarPlay and direct cable could be an option. But I do not like CarPlay interface and hate cables

Hey everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

In this case the best solution will be to head here and contact Volvo. The team there can investigate this further and give you more information about it.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi There,
Would this be confirmation that the app is built, maintained and updated by Volvo then?

Or is the app built and maintained by Spotify?

It would be good to know where to direct complaints or requests for an update

We must know if the app is by Volvo before taking deeper discussion with them. I have tried to contact Volvo support before, but they suggest  software update on vehicle and to test for hardware issues in car. Done both! No issues with hardware & latest software in place. I am an IT guy in Gothenburg and work at Volvo Group, so I can take discussion with them. 

This could certainly be some good news at least, I did raise a support ticket with Volvo and it got closed stating to contact my dealer.

This thread has also gone quiet from Spotifys side as they don't seem to be taking responsibility for the app either.

If any of the mods from Spotify are still monitoring this thread could they please confirm whether or not they are responsible for the support/development of the app on Volvo Sensus

I contacted Volvo support here in Australia and got the usual "Contact your dealer for an inspection" nonsense. It seems no-one will take ownership of this problem, which is a pity. There is something fundamentally wrong with the app and it should never have been released in its current state

Spotify: Please tell us who is responsible for the App. Volvo, Spotify or third  Party!!

otherwise not possible to move forward!

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts.

We can confirm that it's Volvo. We suggest that you contact them here.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

JeremyModerator

Suggested posts