Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP 8.0] Offline Playlist Data on SD Card

[WP 8.0] Offline Playlist Data on SD Card

Don't really classify this as a bug, but more of a needed feature. 

Is it possible to change the default storage location for offline playlists to the SD card? My Lumia 810 only has about 2gigs of space on the phone itself, but I have a 16gig SD card ready to load up.

If this is not going to be possible, then my $10 for premium is going back to Xbox Music (even though it really sucks right now). 

42 Replies

You are not able to change it to SD, although they had the function before.

I'm having the same problem myself, and with more than 3000+ songs on a playlist it sucks to only get 500-1000 songs.

We'll just have to wait and see if they add the function again some day.

Is this even technically possible with windows phone 8? If not, please tell me, since I might just return my new HTC 8S(It only has 4GB of internal HD)

yea ive got this problem too i just moved over from android and that had it i feel like im wasting money with spotify if i cant sync to my sd card 😕

Hi,

Have the same issue. I think that many people buy the budget version of HTC windows phone 8s an wil have this problem.

I rly hope that there is a salution voor this issue. Spotify is seconde app i use on my Phone(whatsapp nr. 1)

Please I also want this on my HTC WP8 8S...please put this in the next version!

Phone : HTC 8s

1. I think it is not (yet) possible to download a playlist on the  SD memory card. This is a critical feature for me since the phone only has 4GB internal memory so it is full very fast. Can you let me know if and when this will be fixed?

2. I had downloaded a small playlist the other day. When I wanted to open this today on the subway it wasn't available offline anymore.

Thank you

I'm running out of space on my Lumia 820 (despite having a largely empty 32Gb SD), so read up quite a bit about it.  What I could find out was that, in Windows Phone 7, Microsoft allowed you to format an SD to be incorporated into the system memory - meaning, a massive amount of space shared by apps etc.  But they found that SD cards vary immensely in their performance, resulting in a lot of instability, lagging etc.  So with Windows Phone 8, they have removed this feature.  HOPEFULLY, they will find a better way to implement SD cards, because it is a really massive problem.

Hopefully Spotify can use their considerable influence to push Windows to find a solution.  We don't have to run apps off the SD card (with the performance issues that might bring), but we do need to store app data on it!

I have Nokia Lumia 820, which has 8 gb of memory and 32 gb SD card. There's an option in Setup, where you can choose if you want to save pictures & music on SD card. I'm not sure where Spotify currently saves downloaded tracks. if it's not SD card, then they should fix it ASAP, because I just reordered Premium after WP8 release.

@migi111 wrote:

I have Nokia Lumia 820, which has 8 gb of memory and 32 gb SD card. There's an option in Setup, where you can choose if you want to save pictures & music on SD card. I'm not sure where Spotify currently saves downloaded tracks. if it's not SD card, then they should fix it ASAP, because I just reordered Premium after WP8 release.

To my knowledge Spotify will save on internal phone memory in this release. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Yes the Option is there but then only your own music will be saved onto SD card, NOT the offline fileformat for Spotify. This is seen as Appl storage and will be placed into system memory. Still this needs to be changed quick by Spotify or Microsoft..WP8..

Just want to bump this as well. Really need this feature! It's the only thing lacking in an otherwise great app.  Any ETA ?

same issue on my ph8. please, spotify, facilitate saving offline lists on sd card

Same problem with my Lumia 620

And the Android & iOS interfaces are much better ...

It seems to be a microsoft limitation - Only the built in music and video hub and the pictures hub can save to an SD card. Third party applications can only read specific, non-reserved, file types from an SD card.

Same issue on my lumia 820, its like being given a Ferrari but being told that you can't use it. Seriously considering cancelling premium as there is little point to it at the moment. Sort it out Microsoft and Spotify.

why there is no response to our request for such a long time?

Spotify - WAKE UP!

I have a Lumia 820 with a 64GB SD card almost empty. C'mon Spotify, can you get this issue sorted?

Since Microsoft won't let apps write to the SD card, the answer is obvious. Complain to Microsoft and switch away from WP8 until they fix it 🙂

Hi Spotify Team, please respond to our request to have offline playlists saved on SD-Card instead on internal memory! If it is a Microsoft restriction please forward our complains or tell us where we can place our complains directly to Microsoft!

I am using Lumia 820 Phone which is second best in Lumia range but absolutely useless in combination with Spotify Premium! If i only put several hundred songs to my offline playlist (and this is the reason why I chose to get premium member and pay 10€ every month!) the very limited of 8 GB internal of my Lumia 820 is full!!! I have a 32GB SD-Card which is nearly empty 😞

Please respond to our request!

Suggested posts