Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] App using too much data over mobile data connection

[WP8] App using too much data over mobile data connection

Logging this as a bug, because it's out of character.  I have used Spotify for a long time now on iPhone before switching to WP8, and I never once observed this kind of behavior:

Data usage is excessive.

After just 2 hours of using spotify, I was hit with a 1.2GB+ data bill by my carrier.  That is to say that in just this period, Spotify pulled down over 1.2GB of data streaming music - and there may be more.

I have never seen the iPhone version come even close to this kind of level of traffic - I would routinely use it on my trips to and from work, streaming new music I didn't have cached, and the highest I can ever recall seeing in one day was around 150MB.

Unfortunately this has already meant massive data charges for me - a single days use costing more than multiple months subscription to Spotify, which I paid for three months while they didn't even have a Windows Phone 8 app available which I could use!

I expect to not be the only one caught out by this.

Handset: Nokia Lumia 920

OS Version: 8.0.10211.204

Firmware revision number: 1232.5951.1249.1007

Hardware revision number: 1.0.0.0

Using LTE and 3G (Telstra).

16 Replies

Thanks for the report. I've made your post into a separate topic so others can come and chime in on this specific issue.

Community Ergo Sum

Further to this, I have just recieved a notification that I've hit another particular percentage figure on available account allowance for my mobile plan... after having Spotify set to 'Offline mode' ever since my 87 minute call to Telstra.

Yes, that's right:  In 24 hours while supposedly in *offline* mode, Spotify has used somewhere in the region of 600MB of data.

I noticed this this morning - my playlists mostly had indicators that things hadn't been downloaded.  But when a particular song started playing which I hadn't noticed in the list of songs which were actually cached locally, I was curious...

Sure enough, it wasn't cached - it had pulled it down from the net.

It would appear also that offline mode is not working!

Anyway, so this has pulled down 600MB in one day while it's been told not to download anything, which I would have expected would fix the issue, so my question is this:  Who is going to pay the $2 per MB excess usage charge?

I've had this issue as well. Although my sync settings were for Wi-Fi only, Spotify proceeded to use data instead and rack up overage fees. Immediately uninstalled as a precaution. A very expensive mistake!

Same problem in my end... Just synced my starred catalogue and got a message from my service provider, that my mobile data package had been used - Even though the setting was to not allow sync over 3G and I am sitting right next to my Wi-Fi router.

This should release some sort of compensation from Spotify for letting us beta-test their software!

So... Are we just being ignored completely?

This thread was even moved out of the official bug-thread in order to let others find it and give their opinion - But as time passes the thread is moved towards oblivion (and that is not a big move on this forum, apparantly!).

Agreed. This is incredibly frustrating to deal with when paying $10 a month.

Alright, this is bordering on ridiculous. The Android app was garbage when I had an Android, and the WP8 app is even worse than that. Yet we receive absolutely no feedback from anyone on this issue except for removing it from the bug report thread. I'm done. I'm just done.

Same here. Sync over 3g switched off.All of my 1 GB data was used within 2 days.This has to be fixed immediately with highest priority.Spotify,you hear us?

Oh, and before I head over to Nokia Music+, if it helps anything, I'm using a Nokia Lumia 820. Maybe someone can use this information when it's found in ten years.

Sadly, the Nokia music service is not available in Denmark, but I have moved on to the Xbox Music instead - Works like a charm for my Lumia 920

Spotify will not get any more money from me...

Xbox Music is not an option for me,because I can´t use it on my Sonos and my Squeezebox.

There is alway Wimp as an alternative - although the feedback on the WP8 app is not encouraging. It seems they have just ported the app for WP7

They have been upgrading the quality of their music library, though - That might count as a positive 🙂

During the last weeks I tried all of those Streaming Services (Spotify,Deezer,Wimp,Juke,Napster).On my Squeezebox and Sonos I switched back and forth with several songs (WIMP uses 256 kbs mp3 for streaming on the Squeezebox,btw)Also on my Windows Phone connected to the car stereo.But Spotify always delivered the best sound quality (for me).And I like the software they provide better.Now there´s only a Windows RT-App missing for my needs.Maybe the Web-Player will work one day for touch devices.I tried him on the Surface RT and it´s not very useable.But it´s still beta,so there´s hope.But we´re drifting away from the topic here.

Oh, this is why I hit my data usage wall!

Been using Spotify on Lumia 920 now for just a couple of days and maybe 1h per day max, and I've alrady consumed over 800 MB of data. This has never happened to me in the iPhone version!

Spotify, any updates on this issue? This is a major issue that you should fix soon.

Hey there.

This problem was also in WP7 in Spotify. WP7 is still NOT FIXED. So don't wait, search alternatives.

I think that Spotify released this app as beta: They or Microsoft coded this app, but not tested (big mistake btw), and all testing and bug reporting to users! Good company test app before release!!!

Don't be mad, but I think that there is no updates coming anytime soon if ever.

See this as example: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Windows-Phones-Blackberry/WP-7-5-All-Windows-Phone-bugs-in-on...

We needed an update, but never received! And these days even complain topic closed 😞 So Spotify just don't care.

darn 😞 I would hate to cancel my premium subscription but Spotify leaves me with not many options. This is quite unacceptable.

Suggested posts