Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] I'm a developer, and I'm here to say "pull yourselves together"

[WP8] I'm a developer, and I'm here to say "pull yourselves together"

Hi there Spotify.

I'm a developer myself doing Windows Phone apps for quite some time. Now, it has been known that a Windows Phone 7.5 Spotify app is available, but not for Windows Phone 8.0.

This doesn't even make sense. Windows Phone 8 is FULLY backwards compatible with 7.5. So why did you deliberately pull it from the marketplace? It would have been running perfectly, while you could upgrade it internally to 8.0. That's what everybody else are doing.

Imagine if Microsoft pulled Office 2010 support for Windows 8, while Office 2013 was under construction. How would that make you feel as a consumer, knowing that Office 2010 would be able to run on Windows 8 just fine?

That's what you're doing now. And it simply doesn't make sense. There are so many people out there needing Spotify on their new Windows Phone 8 devices. Don't leave them hanging! Spend the 5 minutes (and yes, it takes 5 minutes) to upload your Windows Phone 7.5 app and make it available for Windows Phone 8 users WHILE working on a specific Windows Phone 8 version.

Anything else wouldn't make sense at all. I am very frustrated about this. I can't even begin to imagine what you've been thinking. This is not at all a rant. I just seek some form of explanation. Why should we wait for Q1 2013? How come it even takes so long?

5 Replies

I think part of the issue here is that the Spotify application for WP7 was written by Microsoft and not Spotify. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It's not made by Microsoft. On a Windows Phone 7.5 device, it says "Spotify AB" as the publisher of the app.

Just because it was published by Spotify doesn't mean they developed it. I'm not 100% sure though, hpguru is the one to ask about this!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I can confirm that it was practically MS who made the app. Officially it's a result of a co-operation but if the unofficial sources don't lie MS coded it and Spotify only consulted MS.

Hey,

The app is made by guys at Microsoft. The app might get update soon, I do not know. However they need to do something soon as 7.8 is out in future and they need app to 8.

Technically, as I know, 7.5 app can be used also in 8, but they need to edit it more.

I hope they solve issues with this soon.

Suggested posts