Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8] Music doesn't play - a region thing? (HTC 8X)

[WP8] Music doesn't play - a region thing? (HTC 8X)

What ho,

I've downloaded the Spotify beta app for Windows Phone 8, and everything works fine up till one point:

No music plays.

I'm a Swede living in London, and if memory serves Spotify requires you to have the correct region settings in order to work properly. I've tried setting my phone to both Sweden and United Kingdom, but to no avail. I've also considered changing my country on my Spotify profile from Sweden to United Kingdom, but it will only let me change if I change my payment card, which is not an option seeing as how I only have a Swedish debit card.

Any help appreciated!

17 Replies

@Mojorisin wrote:

What ho,

I've downloaded the Spotify beta app for Windows Phone 8, and everything works fine up till one point:

No music plays.

I'm a Swede living in London, and if memory serves Spotify requires you to have the correct region settings in order to work properly. I've tried setting my phone to both Sweden and United Kingdom, but to no avail. I've also considered changing my country on my Spotify profile from Sweden to United Kingdom, but it will only let me change if I change my payment card, which is not an option seeing as how I only have a Swedish debit card.

Any help appreciated!

Have you tried reinstalling?

I have, yes.

When I choose a song to play, I see the little 'streaming / downloading' dots crossing the top of the screen, as they do on Windows Phone 8. But then nothing happens.

@Mojorisin wrote:

I have, yes.

When I choose a song to play, I see the little 'streaming / downloading' dots crossing the top of the screen, as they do on Windows Phone 8. But then nothing happens.

Hmm. And you are premium? It could be a region issue, but I doubt it as premium users can use it abroad. I will merge this with the bugs thread, as it sounds like a bug 🙂

I am premium, yeah. 

Spotify on my Android always worked fine here in London, and in Sweden. But not this one, for some reason. 😕

Try logging in using your spotify id and password instead of your Facebook account.

If you don"t know your spotify id and/or password, you can try this page : https://www.spotify.com/us/login/ : choose "Log in using spotify details" and click on "Forgot password or username ?".

I always log on using my Spotify details. 🙂

this page just tells me, that I have a facebook account and I shall change my password over there.

I had issues trying to play music on my Lumia 920 (unable to download, cannot stream music) because I started an account using my Facebook rather than having a dedicated Spotify account, which sucks because while you can connect a dedicated account to Facebook, you can't do it the other way around without providing a new username and email address.

I solved this by going to Spotify accounts and going to "Set password for devices". Then I used that sucessfully and I have no problems playing on the WP8 Spotify app.

Hi Kamigoroshi,

Could you further elaborate on that last bit? I'm not sure where to find 'Set password for devices'.

You need to log into the Spotify website to change these settings.

After logging into it, go to Profile directly (which is also under Accounts). Once you're at the Edit Profile page, you should see at the very top:

Use Spotify on your devices

Set your device password to use Spotify on your Sonos, Squeezebox and a whole heap of other devices.

Then just set your password for your devices. It would be an numeric username, but it links to your Spotify account nevertheless. I just used that to log into my WP8 Spotify account and it plays and syncs perfectly.

Weird - I don't see that anywhere. 😕

This worked perfectly!!! Much better than having to cancel my facebook linked account and create a new one w/o fb... Thank you very much Kamigoroshi!

FYI: I'm using a Lumia 920 that was having the issue... So the problem is not with just the 8x

Yeah I can't see the passwords for devices setting via web browser either. It's incredibly frustrating, I've been trying to download some songs to my Lumia 920 for offline use but I don't seem to be making any progress.

Try the direct link.

Community Ergo Sum

Perfect. Works like a charm. (USA ATT 8x) Spotify should have this fix on the app description. Its only right.   Thanks for the help.

Any word yet on how I can get my songs to play? 🙂

Thanks for the thread. This definitely needs to be fixed in the app. If nothing else, a detailed error message needs to be displayed.

I think that setting up a Spotify (not Facebook) userid fixed the problem on the server for me. However, the app had no obvious way how to change the user id / password, so I had to uninstall/reinstall. Fixed it!

Suggested posts