Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[WP8/W10M] Using more data than it should when music quality is set to Normal

[WP8/W10M] Using more data than it should when music quality is set to Normal

Hello,

I'm with Videotron in Canada and I have the unlimited music streaming feature, but it doesn't seem to be working with spotify (works with Groove/Xbox music though). I am using a Windows Mobile 10 phone, although I had the same problem with my Windows 8.1 phone.

One of the requirments for the streaming not to be counted towards your monthly data usage is the streaming must be 128kbps or below. So I set the music quality in the Spotify app to Normal aka 96kbps.

Here's the problem:

Yesterday my data limit reset as it was the first day of my new billing period and wanted to test the unlimited music with spotify to see if it was working since I switch to Premium (was not working when using free so I thought maybe this was why). I was ay 0mb usage. I turned on my data, opened spotify and streamed 3 songs, so about 10 minutes and it used up 25MB.

If you check the data usage for the music quality:

96 kbps => 0.72 MB per minute.
160 kbps => 1.2 MB per minute.
320 kbps => 2.4 MB per minute.

It should of only used about 7MB with Normal music quality. If we calculate using Extreme data usage:

10 minutes of streaming x 2.4MB = 24MB, so close to what the app used for the 10 minutes of streaming.

It seems that even though you put the Music Quality in the Windows Phone app to Normal, it still uses Extreme aka 320kbps. So of course this does not count towards my unlimited music but instead it counts towards my 1GB monthly limit.

Has anyone else noticed this problem? Is this a known bug?

2 Replies

No reply?

Thanks Spotify...

BUMP.

Still having thsi problem...

Suggested posts