Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ways to play music in my Car - Bluetooth & USB

Solved!

Ways to play music in my Car - Bluetooth & USB

Country

Canada

Device

TBD

Operating System

TBD

My Question or Issue

Hello, 

I plan on having the premium plan, but would like to figure some things out first. I would like some way to be able to play my music in my car. It has Bluetooth and USB. And I'm not willing to use my data on steaming music and my phone is all full.

I was wondering is there is something like a USB that I can format to be allowed to have the spotify music on it to be able to plug into my car. This 'Mighty' (https://bemighty.com/products/mighty) thing seems to fit the bill, but I would like something either cheeper, or has more functions for that price. I would also just like to explore my options

I was thinking of something like the iPod. Where it doesn't need WiFi itself, but it gets sinced up with the app on my computer. Is that how the desktop spotify app even works? Or something that has WiFi and blutooth to be able to hook up to my car that isn't too much money. 

Any Ideas, let me know.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

@_bc0yqn-d07o7 wrote:

Oh! I c can't like, sync a device using the desktop like you can with an iPod? It has to have the Spotify app? 

And thanks for the review! Very helpful! 

You're right, it would need to be compatible with the Spotify app directly - or like the Mighty - have its own app that integrates with Spotify. This is the only way you can actually connect to + store the library you have in Spotify. It's probably also why there is a limited option of devices that can sync with it for the offline feature.
I'm glad you found the review helpful! Have a great day! 🙂

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hi @_bc0yqn-d07o7 and welcome to the Community! 🙂

I unfortunately only see a few options for what you'd like to do... 

Since the Premium plan does allow offline storage for listening without wifi/data, you will be able to download the playlists to any mobile device that is supported.
This support link shows which devices are compatible directly with the Spotify app - including the 5th generation (or above) of the Touch. 

For the Touch option to work, you would need to download the app to it via Wifi, download your desired playlists and then you could use it offline.

If you can't free up your phone space to download the playlists, and if the Touch is too much of a hassle/expense, the Mighty would likely work for what you want.
I do see its limitations too for the cost though as it seems more of a replacement for the iPod shuffle model.

There is a Spotify car support page here. But it looks like Volvo and Tesla may be the only select makers that offer a direct log in to Spotify via the infotainment center.
Most cars still require some sort of communication to a phone or another device.

I wish I had a better answer for you, but hope this helps clarify some of your questions. Have a great day! 🙂

Yah, I've read all the compatibility devices. I was wondering if there is anything else that maybe they didn't list. 

So it looks like my best bet it this 'mighty' thing. But I'm wondering what aspects of this device qualifies it as compatible? Does it need to be any mp3 player? Does it need to have Bluetooth? Does it need to be in a particular format? 

Hi again! 🙂

In doing a web search, it looks like the Mighty is the most common solution outside of the direct devices Spotify supports. I couldn't find any other 3rd party player that will do the same. It can't be just any Mp3 player because it would need to have a way to sync with Spotify. The devices Spotify lists can all download their app to do so, but if a device doesn't list Spotify as compatible it won't work.
For your other questions:
The Mighty has its own app (for your phone) that will then sync with your Spotify account over Wifi so it can download the playlists you tell it to.
Any device for a car connection will need to have Bluetooth built in or the ability to line in the device with a cable.
You won't have to worry about the file type since Spotify has its own format for streaming/song storage. (This is why the device must be compatible with the Spotify app - or be advertised as a Spotify compatible device).

If you are on the fence about investing the money for Mighty, I'd definitely check out some reviews first to see the full function of what you are getting and if there are any reported bugs/cons that might be a frustration for you.
I read some reviews and the best/recent one I saw was here. You may find it helpful in seeing how the device works and what its pros/cons are from a dedicated tech tester.
Good luck in what you decide! 🙂

Well, here is the simple solution:

1. Have PREMIUM account with Spotify
  2. Download your PlayList on your mobile
  3. Peer your mobile phone to your car stereo via Bluethooth 
  4. and enjoy the music

@Bethany_Dawn wrote:

Hi again! 🙂

In doing a web search, it looks like the Mighty is the most common solution outside of the direct devices Spotify supports. I couldn't find any other 3rd party player that will do the same. It can't be just any Mp3 player because it would need to have a way to sync with Spotify. The devices Spotify lists can all download their app to do so, but if a device doesn't list Spotify as compatible it won't work.
For your other questions:
The Mighty has its own app (for your phone) that will then sync with your Spotify account over Wifi so it can download the playlists you tell it to.
Any device for a car connection will need to have Bluetooth built in or the ability to line in the device with a cable.
You won't have to worry about the file type since Spotify has its own format for streaming/song storage. (This is why the device must be compatible with the Spotify app - or be advertised as a Spotify compatible device).

If you are on the fence about investing the money for Mighty, I'd definitely check out some reviews first to see the full function of what you are getting and if there are any reported bugs/cons that might be a frustration for you.
I read some reviews and the best/recent one I saw was here. You may find it helpful in seeing how the device works and what its pros/cons are from a dedicated tech tester.
Good luck in what you decide! 🙂

Oh! I c can't like, sync a device using the desktop like you can with an iPod? It has to have the Spotify app? 

@LlukKas wrote:

Well, here is the simple solution:

1. Have PREMIUM account with Spotify
  2. Download your PlayList on your mobile
  3. Peer your mobile phone to your car stereo via Bluethooth 
  4. and enjoy the music

As per my first post, I do not want to use my phone as it is full, and I don't have data. 

Marked as solution

@_bc0yqn-d07o7 wrote:

You're right, it would need to be compatible with the Spotify app directly - or like the Mighty - have its own app that integrates with Spotify. This is the only way you can actually connect to + store the library you have in Spotify. It's probably also why there is a limited option of devices that can sync with it for the offline feature.
I'm glad you found the review helpful! Have a great day! 🙂

Suggested posts